What I wish EV charging networks knew about EVs

Discussion in 'General' started by C02less, Mar 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Here's my manifesto for basic things that anyone planning or funding EV fast-charging networks should know. Feel free to contribute more.

1. Charging is a service. So receiving a charge should be a hassle-free non event in one's life, like using any other vending machine.
    2. Reliability is super important. If your charger doesn't work for us we may not make it home.
    3. Chargers need to be put where people want to hang out for a while. Hint: near good places to eat, or a park, or shopping are all good places. Behind some crappy gas station next to the dumpsters isn't.
    4. Fast chargers need to be distributed thoughtfully so there are not huge distances between them. Especially important if the chargers are unreliable and you have to skip over a planned stop.
    5. Cords need to be long enough. Do I need to explain?
    6. Please let me pay by credit card. When I am fast charging I am away from home, so I may not have encountered your regional charging network before. Being forced to download your app that I might only use once in my trip is a waste of my time (see #1) and adds complexity that I don't need (see #2).
    7. Don't rip me off. I am happy to pay a reasonable amount. I know what electricity costs.
    8. Similar to #7, provide a reasonable charging rate. When the charger claims 150kW but will only deliver 35kW I feel ripped off.
    9. If your customer service people are morons please replace them with someone better. Sorry, not polite but needed to be said. See #1. We only call you when there's already a problem and what we want is speedy resolution, not attitude.
    10. If you know the charger is not working please say that on the screen. We can waste time fiddling with it, calling the network, and worse yet losing our place in rotation if there is a line-up for chargers.

Well, that's 10 to start. Please feel free to contribute your own ideas...

R P likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would add pay by kWh up to 80% and by minute after that.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

That's a good list. It got me thinking, the early days of gasoline were (almost?) always full-service stations. I wonder how viable a full-service EV charging station could be. I know cleaning the windows is a needed service. ;)

turtleturtle likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• EV charging sockets should be at or near the rear or front of EVs. This saves the cost and expense of fast charger equipment and reduces the property area, a major expense. Thanks to windshields and backup cameras, head-in or back-in is the safest way to approach a charger. Long cables are heavy and often left on the ground with both the plug and cable being run over.
    • Charging plugs and cables should be small and light weight. The reason is small stature people need to connect, not a strength contest to wrestle with the charger cable.
    • Every service center, dealer or not, should have open to all a 24x7, DC charger and a J1772 EVSE. These are used to train their new EV buyers and good will from other EV owners. Be sure to have a trash can handy and lights.
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My MINI Cooper SE can't charge at more than 50 kW. It has an EPA range of 110 miles. On a trip away from my garage I don't feel comfortable leaving a charging station with less than a 90-95% charge because the next station may be broken. So I would be against paying by the minute for the last 15% I feel I need.

Occassionally in Michigan we have cold weather and sloppy, wet road conditions. The front of my two EVs can become so plastered with frozen slop that the radar on our Clarity PHEV and the front parking sensors on my MINI Cooper SE become inoperative (flashing a warning in the Clarity and sounding the annoying front parking-collision warning tone in the MINI).

In these sloppy, cold-weather situations, how do owners of EVs with front charging sockets get their charging-port doors open without a hair dryer? Should charging stations include hair dryers? Rearward-located charging ports make more sense to me.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Would a Thermos bottle of hot water work?

9. Maybe an hour limit might be more appropriate. Many EVs take a long time to get from 80 - 100%.

C02less likes this.
  10. Good points. Personally. I think front charging port is the way to go, but they do need to be designed for all conditions, so should have a heating element that keeps the slop from covering and freezing it over.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. I am OK with the port on the side of the car, as you can still drive it in either frontwards or backwards depending on which side of the charger station is free. I have done that a couple times at our free L3 Chevron chargers with my Solterra. Works well for all kinds of cars, incl front charging ports. The only ones that might be a stretch are the ones in the back corners (eg Tesla) where the station might not let you drive in far enough forwards. That is probably the worst location for a port.

The problem with front ports though, is that in heavy snowing conditions or freezing rain, those ports will be covered in ice and frozen snow, and may be difficult to open. My Kona was that way. But have driven my Solterra when there was a 1/2 inch or more of snow and ice on the front (radar didn't work though), yet the side port was clear.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

If the charge port is on the left side near the front between the headlight assembly and wheel well that would solve the slush issue. That area behind the fender is wasted space anyways.

14. Mine is on the left side between the wheel well on the door. But high enough so no slush, snow or ice sticks to it. See my avatar.

15. Included with the 2024 New Generation Kona EV:
    "We also learn from the press release that the electric crossover comes with battery preconditioning to ensure secure charging and range performance in winter. It also has a heated charging door that operates at temperatures as low as -22° F (-30° C).":)

Domenick likes this.
  16. insightman

Does that mean a continuously heated charging door, robbing range (like my MINI Cooper SE's always-heated mirrors)? Or does it mean a switch you flip inside the New Generation Kona EV to start the thawing process, hoping there's enough battery charge to get the charging door-blocking slop melted? What happens at -23° F (see @Puppethead's MINI EV posts from Minnesota)?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  17. OK, so I do need to explain how long cords need to be, lol. On my Kona the charging port is on the front driver's side. So if the only available charger puts the cord towards the passenger side it might not be quite long enough. This has occasionally happened and required some tricky parking and me crawling through the car to exit via the passenger door. Sheesh. Cords need to be a minimum of two feet longer than PetroCan or Chevron makes them. It actually takes more strength to plug in when the cord barely reaches.

I have also occasionally had to deal with a frozen charging door on my Kona. On my last trip through a blizzard I needed to complete my trip with the charging door open (so it wouldn't freeze shut for the next charge) while the car serenaded me with its insane dinging. Never had this issue with the Chevy Bolt, charging door was in the front fender. The push-in to open design of the Kona charge door fails when ice or snow builds up behind it and it can't be pushed in. So maybe a front charge door (in the center) with a release mechanism similar to a hood latch would also be OK.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. Exactly.
    On my Gen 1 Leafs, I fashioned a manual release using tie wraps attached to the actual latch assembly, once you pulled, the door would open mechanically because Nissan had a spring release type mechanism.
    No such luck (yet) with Kona as the release is not accessible within the charge port assembly, but I have considered working on similar strategy.;)

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Living in Dixie, we tend to have milder cold snaps. But when caught unawares, room temperature, isopropyl alcohol is an effective deicer and soon evaporates.

BTW, thanks for the cord explanation. No need to beat the spot where the dang cord laid on the ground but sharing.

I maintain the free EVSE in the alley behind Propst Discount Drugs. I never cease to be amazed at how often 'the public' mistreats free accommodations. It is not that hard to put the J1772 cord on the mount so it is not lying on the ground in the mud and easily driven over. Yet I still occasionally find that abuse equal only to what happens in Men's public bathrooms.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
  20. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Looks like the '24 Kona is solving your door issue, it comes with a charge door heater from the preliminary info I have seen.

21. So here's another one: everyone needs to do their job and be a responsible user. For customers like us please hang up the cords etc. For EV charger owners please take responsibility for your equipment. You wouldn't build a bathroom and never fix or clean it, so why let your chargers degenerate to this state? Ellensburg L2.png

This charger has deteriorated slowly from lack of maintenance over the last year. Holiday Inn decided to fix the problem by installing Tesla Superchargers instead of less costly repairs to their clipper creek destination charger. Makes no sense.
    Yesterday I plugged into a nearly new destination charger that didn't work. The charger's owner expected me (the customer) to basically own the whole repair process. Again, makes no sense.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. insightman

That's probably why EVs on the other side of the pond have to bring their own charging cords (at least for Level 2 equivalents).

Thank you for your service aiding the EV drivers who charge at Propst Discount Drugs.

Domenick likes this.
  23. Bollards are as important as the EVSE itself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Managed one last charge before it was eliminated by the owners.
    I did leave a couple of safety cones to warn pedestrians and children which I retrieved later once the equipment and wiring was removed. It has not been replaced since it was found in this condition, and I can't really blame the owners because of the lack of responsibility as mentioned above.
    This one was near my place of employment, and was a handy EVSE for several years:(

Domenick likes this.