What ESEV is typically included with a new EV?

Discussion in 'General' started by SouthernDude, Feb 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Is the equipment that comes with an EV just a Level 1 (120v) charger or is it both Level 1 and Level 2 (120v & 240v)?

I’m just unclear about it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Assuming you're from the USA, we only get a Level 1 charger. Europeans usually get two - Level 1 and a Level 2 cord, as those public chargers don't have the cord attached as they do here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

turtleturtle likes this.
  4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

Oh. Ok

5. I
    It depends on the car. The new Mustang Mach E comes with 2 plugs and can can be operated on 120 or 240. This is also true of Teslas. Though you have to buy the 240 volt plug as an option. In addition a number of level one chargers can be operated on 240 volts. The 120 volt level 1 charger that came with my Kona will operate on 240 volt using an adapter plug. I am not advocating this just saying it work. Also I have a GE level 2 charger that operates fine on 120 volts. Obviously at half its rated power output. I have tested both my chargers. I tested them just to have options in emergency situations. Again I am not advocating that chargers be operated on different voltage unless they are specifically designed for it.

6. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

2018 Leaf 40kwh in Kingston Ontario Canada. Mine came with a 240V EVSE that has an adapter to plug into a 120V and it can deal with both. My first Leaf (a 2016) only was equipped for 120V with the supplied EVSE.

7. To remove this ad click here.