What Does Volvo's China-Built EX30 Mean For The Next Mini Cooper?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by bucoshi, Jun 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bucoshi

bucoshi Member

Looks like Volvo was able to deliver a small EV, that's built in China, for a starting price of $35k.

There is talk that the next electric Mini (Cooper) won't come to the US because of the import fees associated with being built in China. However, it looks like Volvo found a way to do it.

Thoughts on whether Mini will follow suit and be able to deliver an electric Cooper, that's built in China, to the US market (for $35k or less)?

PS - kind of cool to see that the EX30 dual-motor hits 0-60 in under 4 seconds. I would LOVE it if the next electric Mini Cooper was able to do the same :D

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Polestars are also made in China. They start at $40k. It’s really only a matter of how much the tariffs affect the bottom line price and their (Volvo and Polestar’s) margins. If a niche car company like Volvo (let’s call it what it is) decides they can make it work, then why not? It’s up to Munich to decide if they are willing to take smaller margins on the J01 — which we already know will also be built in Cowley alongside the F66 — should they decide to sell the Chinese-built model in the US. I’m wagering that we won’t see the J01 here until it starts being made at Plant Oxford a couple of years after the U25 Countryman SE begins shipping from Leipzig in 2025.

bucoshi likes this.
  4. bucoshi

bucoshi Member

I never stopped to think about where Polestars were made, but what you said makes sense. I'm still hopeful we'll see the next-gen Mini Cooper here in the States sometime prior to 2025. It would be such a drag to wait that long if otherwise. Plus, who knows what other cars come out during that time span, which could impede upon Mini's ev adoption rate here.

PS - awesome signature

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized Polestars are made in China, and I've seen a fair number of them on the road. As far as I know that must be the only China-made EV sold in the US. But Polestar has announced the Polestar 3 will be manufactured in the US, which makes sense since it's converging on the US-dominant SUV style, like seemingly every other auto manufacturer in the world. :mad:

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Polestar is pretty much 88.5%+ owned by Chinese Geely billionaire Li Shufu.

Texas22Step, SameGuy and DJCoopster like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I hadn't realized the cars were imported from China. Since it's a Volvo partnership I always figured they made some in Europe somewhere.

9. teslarati97

It started out roughly 50-50 for Polestar (Volvo-Geely) but Li Shufu consolidated his power to 88.5%. As of Q1 2023 Geely (and its consolidated holdings) owns 82% of Volvo and the remaining 18% are public shares.

Anyways they still make Volvos worldwide across Europe and the Ridgeville, SC plant in USA.

10. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I suspect that Mini will want to keep their EV ball rolling. Even if it means reduced sales while they can only sell Chinese J01s in the US. Politics can change faster than some people's underpants, BMW will be planning long term. Having cars on the roads will boost their acceptance. Assuming that they aren't lemons. Or is it pomelos?

11. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

Yeah, was gonna say... Volvo and Polestar are Chinese. Slightly different motivations than German-owned MINI to work around the tariff.

Texas22Step likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. teslarati97

I thought the saying was reference to things going sour. Maybe kumquat is a little more sour than pomelo?

14. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Lemons: bad examples of cars. Some cars are just dreadful.