What does this little round button do?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by BostonSE, Dec 3, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

IMG_8222 (1).jpg

It's a pressable button. I pressed it. Nothing blew up. It didn't double my range.

endquote likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

MichaelC likes this.
  4. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

I emailed this pic to my MA and asked her and she said she was told it was a sensor but didn't know what the sensor sensed. :confused:

5. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

I don't think it's supposed to move...

Mine doesn't (although I didn't push that hard) and it's hard to tell from the picture but mine also appears to be sticking out more.

Maybe it's just held in with friction? Does yours actually spring back like a button?

6. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

On second thought, it doesn’t move like a mechanical button. It depresses about 1-2 mm and springs back. If it’s a sensor, I won’t press it anymore!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

Maybe it’s a blinker fluid sensor?

insightman likes this.
  9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20211203-182806_DuckDuckGo.jpg

10. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

An AI-based eye, mouth, and head and occupant tracking imaging technology that provides driver monitoring, occupancy detection, featuring distraction, drowsiness and incapacitated driver detection..... :)

Actually its an IR type sensor that improves HVAC performance significantly. The sensor detects thermal radiation emitted by the front seat occupants and their surroundings. The sensor values are used by the proprietary HVAC algorithm. Many higher line vehicles used them.

11. Derricko1

Derricko1 New Member

I was hoping it was the button to pop the hatch. :) Is there one, or just key fob only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

There's a hatch release button by the drivers left foot (right above the hood release lever)

14. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

Really? I will check this out. Every week I learn something new about the SE. I’m afraid of losing my man card. I keep telling my wife I know everything!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Actually, I had thought it most likely would be a sensor for HVAC purposes, but one that controls the car's remote interior conditioning function when neither a driver nor passenger are physically present in the car to turn the HVAC on or off, set the cabin temperature, etc. Or, maybe it performs multiple functions, including both a remote-related function and measuring thermal radiation for any front seat occupants there may be?

16. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

The sensor is probably used as an input to the control algorithm anytime the HVAC is operating, regardless.

17. MustangMan

MustangMan New Member

So that why it says "Good morning Dave" when I get in...

F14Scott, Texas22Step and MichaelC like this.
  18. I asked my dealer about this and he says it is a sensor to sense the brightness of sunlight in the cabin and turns on the interior lights when the cabin goes dark.

19. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Turn on the interior lights when it gets dark? If your dealer is going to make something up, they should at least make up something plausible.

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. I know, right. It will be pretty hard to drive at night with interior lights on bec it is dark.

Just wanted to share the another concept re this button.

21. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

Ha, ha -- you are right, of course, but as Dave I have always associated the many & varied sounds of the MINI SE on start-up with the old theme from Rod Serling's Twilight Zone (mp3 file attached for those not old enough to remember the TV show & its theme music) "... a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, and a dimension of mind...."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  22. BostonSE

BostonSE New Member

I recall seeing somewhere that the heads up display dims and brightens depending on the ambient light.

23. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I covered it with my finger today and the navigation map did not switch to night mode, so that can be ruled out. The map must use the outside camera for light detection.