What does sport/green actually do?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by endquote, Jan 13, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. endquote

endquote Active Member

Not the first dumb question I've asked on here, but here we go.

I get that green+ turns off the comfort features to conserve energy, but what does green do compared to mid? What does sport do compared to mid?

Green's description is "consumption-reducing tuning for increased range".

Sport's description is "consistently sporty tuning of the drivetrain for greater driving agility."

Cool, but what does that mean objectively? What is actually changed, and by how much?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Basically they just change the accelerator pedal mapping and the weight of the steering. Oh and most importantly they can change the interior colors to angry and red!

4. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I was under the assumption that Sport mode also tightened up the steering and suspension. It also changed the exhaust (in the ICE, of course). Sure felt like it. And Green took all the get-up out of acceleration. I haven't noticed much difference in the SE yet.

http://www.1revorg.org/mini.html

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Carsten has it right. It adjusts the throttle and the amount of assist from the power steering pump. On the ICE model it can adjust the suspension if you have the adaptive dampers, but that's not an option on the SE (yet).

I found an option in the display settings to not turn the speedo red and turned that on. All that red kept making me think an error light was on. Now that I'm used to the car maybe I'll try it again.

Urbanengineer and endquote like this.
  6. Carsten Haase

I'm exactly the opposite haha I frequently drive in the dark so I have it set to always be red. Realistically, it probably doesn't help my night vision too much with all the glaring truck headlights...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DisgruntledSanta

DisgruntledSanta Active Member

I think it also adjusts how the coast/regen mapping for one pedal driving. I’ve noticed it is much easier to stay in the coast region or gentle regen in mid and green vs sport. Sport gets really aggressive regen very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

I notice this as well. The regen under sport seems to mimic the greater engine braking of an ICE higher in the Rev range.

10. Carsten Haase

It may feel different but the maximum amount of regen (and the maximum power) is the same in all modes.

However, at the same acceleration pedal position (excluding 100% and 0%) there is more power and more regen in Sport and changes are more abrupt since the pedal is more sensitive.

insightman and endquote like this.
  11. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

How did you measure the max regen and max power to determine they are the same in all modes?

How would you explain the measured 0-60 time being a full second quicker in sport mode?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Carsten Haase

It's not at all scientific but by feel. I tried the different modes and attempted to eliminate the accelerator mapping by just going straight to zero or straight to 100% power. This also isn't the first time this has been discussed and what I stated was the previous conclusion.

I think someone could verify this with the OBD apps and a passenger based on power draw from the battery but I don't think that has been done.

From the other discussions about this topic, the conclusion on the 0-60 difference was that there is varying levels of "smoothing" on accelerator inputs in the different modes. So even if you floor it, the car takes a bit longer in green than in sport to give you full power (even though full power is the same)

14. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

I always have my car in low regen mode. So could it be greater in sport mode as I am not at max regen?

15. DisgruntledSanta

That could be it, definitely. The low regen is, well, low. Not verify aggressive. The high regen -especially in sport mode - is like you are slamming on the brakes. Pretty intense.

16. Carsten Haase

I'm curious, are you modulating the accelerator pedal to control the regen or do you just let off completely when you want to slow down?

I exclusively drive in sport with high regen and would never describe it as intense. In fact, a passenger would not be able to tell if I was in sport/mid/green or high/low regen without looking at the dash.

insightman likes this.
  17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I can't imagine driving with low regen because I'd have to make the huge effort to move my foot to the other pedal more often. It took a while to convince my wife that full-regen mode was best and she loves it now.

GetOffYourGas and Carsten Haase like this.
  18. DisgruntledSanta

I modulate the throttle. Probably a better word when coming off completely would have been abrupt or sharp.

I agree, with a controlled foot, the three can be driven very similarly. I do still think it’s easier to coast in green/mid, and easier to get the “electric grin” from sudden throttle in sport.

Carsten Haase likes this.
  19. jimmm18

jimmm18 Active Member

I hate high regen. Low feels more normal to me and my wife tried high as well and didn't like it either. I am really glad I have the option. i prefer to have control over the driving which explains why I prefer manual shifting. Unfortunately I have a knee injury so my other car is an auto as well. Gti with DSG but I shift it manual! :)

GetOffYourGas likes this.