What am I doing wrong? (setting to charge at cheaper night hours)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by KimB, Jul 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I'm trying to set my '23 to charge during the cheaper off-peak hours (11pm-7am), but both from my phone and on the car itself, it keeps defaulting back to 'charge immediately'...

Clearly I'm missing something. Why is it doing that?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

In the Mini app on iPhone - I just looked at that. Inside the Charging Mode screen you are selecting "Charge in time slot", and then setting your times. The app is poorly designed to have no 'save' button there. You have to hit the 'back' button at the top. Then you have to scroll down and set a departure time. Hit the 'back' button again. Did you then touch "UPDATE IN MY MINI" at the bottom of the screen?

4. oldmorris

oldmorris New Member

I don’t like that you have no option to charge to a certain %. What I found to be useful is set ‘fake’ departure settings for Monday through friday and sat/sun, so that it always has a departure time set in it and you dont have to set it each time you charge.
    I might mess with setting departure time at like 2am so that it only charges midnight to 2am and doesn’t try to go to 100% charge.

5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Doesn’t it override the start time then?

6. ghost

ghost Active Member

Someone posted on here that you have to change your departure time after 3:30 pm, for some reason. It works.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I'm curious for what benefit? The SE, unlike other EVs, protects the battery during charging to "100%", and another unique feature of the SE is the cable is not locked during charging, so you can unplug at any time.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

It's more energy efficient if you stop at around 80-85%. I haven't charged up to 100% in awhile and have noticed a big decrease in energy use. I have a short commute and was topping off every night starting at around 95%. Now I wait untill it's at about 40%, then charge overnight on L1.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable. My daily commute is 85 miles or so, and I only pay 4¢ per kWh, so for me going to 100% SoC is the only thing I've ever considered.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  11. Yes, this is exactly what I'm doing.

Tried that, too. Still jumps back to 'charge immediately.' This is frustrating!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I agree - that is frustrating and weird. My Mini app is version 2.5.4 (14949) running on IOS. I was able to set up your exact time schedule.

14. Torrey

Torrey Active Member

Do you have departure times set for after the end of your scheduled charging slot? I think the default departure time is midnight and the car will prioritize have 100% charge at departure over charging in the time slot.

I have also noticed an issue with it switching to immediate charging when my wife drives, so possibly connected to driver profile or possibly when she connect with her app it applies her app settings.

15. I've tried all the things. Have an email sent out to both the dealership I purchased from and the one closest to my house. So far, they've made the same suggestions y'all have. No go. The closer dealership has forwarded the question on to someone that should know more.