What’s the point of the lift gate button?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TRSmith, Dec 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

What is the point of the lift gate button on the Kona’s fob? It obviously doesn’t have a power lift gate that opens if you press or hold the button.

I’ve seen that holding it down unlocks the lift gate. But you still need to press the button on the gate itself. If you have the fob on you anyway (and can press the button), the proximity sensor unlocks it, so what’s the point of using the button on the fob?

And if the doors are unlocked, you can open the lift gate without possessing the fob.

I can only imagine two very unlikely scenarios in which it would be useful:

- Doors are locked, you’re away from the car, but you want somebody else who doesn’t have the fob to be able to open the lift gate (but not to have access to the other four doors, since unlocking them would unlock the lift gate.
    - Doors are locked, you’re away from the car but you want to leave your fob where you currently are, while you go to the car and open the life gate. So you unlock the gate, put down your fob, walk to the car and open it. Again, you don’t want to unlock the other four doors.

Am I missing something?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That pretty much sums it up, it would be better to have a system like this installed, if one could ever find a link:

:)

5. To remove this ad click here.

6. I asked a service manager who told me that the lift gate button is inoperable on the Kona. Yes, Hyundai uses the same fob for every car, I am told, regardless whether it works for the vehicle in question or not. Yes, the button, it is there, but does not apply. This is what I believe, and it makes sense that they want to reuse the same set of fobs for all cars. Interesting, no?

7. And yet it does work.

8. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    And when I was self isolating (Covid) - enabled me to push the button so that my groceries could be delivered into a dry secure place pending me creeping out to collect them when no one was about!

Other than that though, Useless.

John.

9. TRSmith

TRSmith Member

But you could have just unlocked the doors and accomplished the same thing. Right?

10. To remove this ad click here.