What’s The Perfect Charge Port Location?

Discussion in 'General' started by Domenick, Apr 30, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. There is no standard for plug placement on cars. The Nissan LEAF wears its on its nose, as does the @Hyundai Kona Electric. On a Tesla its the rear driver's side fender.
    InsideEVs is asking in a poll on its site, if there was a standard, where should it be?

[​IMG]

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I'll go first.

Obviously, the ideal location is the left side (driver's side) rear fender.

Why? Because that's where I'm least likely to trip over it.Not everybody's garage is laid out the same, but I generally walk around the round of my vehicle when it's in the garage. If it plugged in at the nose, I'd be walking past the plug lots over time, increasing the chance of a trip and fall.

4. terminaltrip421

terminaltrip421 New Member

I'm with you both for aesthetic and 'what I'm used to' reasons.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Last edited: May 28, 2021
  6. I liked the front placement on my Leaf, and found it quite convenient. I just got my Tesla today and I'll see how I feel about the left-rear placement......I do like that it leaves room for a frunk.

DJP and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The MINI Cooper SE is rear passenger side. Earlier models of ICE MINIs had the fuel port on the rear driver side. I don't know whether or not MINI moved the port for safety reasons, because having it on the passenger side means not standing in the road to refuel from a portable canister. But I don't think there's a lot of "side of the road" charging going on. The SE is a retrofit into the existing ICE body, though, so the location certainly wasn't an EV design decision.

9. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

Obviously, the ideal location is the left side (driver's side) front fender.

Why? Because that's where I'm least likely to trip over it.

I park in a carport and approach the car from the rear.

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

10. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Assuming you can lay out your home charging how you see fit, having it in the front makes sense for public charging where one pulls in

DJP likes this.
  11. Unless it’s like many Electrify America stations where you pull up along the side.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

I feel the best location is the front.

14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Both with an interlock that allows only one to work at a time.

Bob Wilson

15. SSpiffy

SSpiffy Member

No matter where it goes, SOMEONE will complain.

Gene 2020 Honda Clarity
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Inside EVs mobile app

Clamps likes this.