Well, there we go ... MINI to adopt NACS in North America

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by fishbert, Oct 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

wessy, inferno10, MichaelC and 5 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Motoring File reports "implementation scheduled for 2025." That's good, so when the J01 arrives, MINI owners won't have to fiddle with NACS adapters.

GetOffYourGas and wessy like this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

After having my charge port area disassembled for the rodent damage, it looked to me like it'd be pretty simple to replace the whole J1772/CCS1 receptacle with a NACS one if MINI makes the part available for F56 SEs.

*edit* oops, I meant CCS1

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    Louis W and GetOffYourGas like this.
  5. Racejoe

Racejoe Member

That would be pretty sweet.

6. ghost

ghost Active Member

The best thing about owning a Tesla is the charging infrastructure.

Before other companies starting to adopt the nacs, someone told me that Tesla is going to become a very profitable charging company. Looks like he was right.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I don't imagine Tesla owners are happy about sharing the Superchargers they've had all to themselves until now. Also, losing the exclusive charging locations can't help Tesla sales.

wessy likes this.
  9. ghost

ghost Active Member

It seems every public charging station near me is occupied by Teslas, so it serves them right.

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Cybertruck will reportedly be 800V, so expect to see them at the EA 350kW chargers.

11. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I don't expect to see the Cybertruck anywhere, really.
    It's fugly, very late to the EV pickup market, and was never going to live up to the sales pitch of 4 years ago. Destined to flop, hard.

beerhecht and SameGuy like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Given that something like 70% of EVs on US roads are already Teslas, this isn’t going to be the deluge some people make it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Perfect. So by the time they bring my convertible to the States, it will have an NACS port installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

It's a little more complex than swapping the port.
    NACS uses one pair of conductors for both AC and DC power. CCS/SAE uses separate ones. It may be possible to reprogram the OBC and have an adapter port. Or it may need a different OBC. I believe OBCs are $fewk. Charging communication is already compatible, when Tesla deigns to let us use superchargers.

16. I feel like I bought Betamax when everybody else got VHS

17. pictsidhe

Poor comparison. Betamax was actually the superior system.
    But this time, NACS is.
    I hope that cheered you up . :p

Buzzzzkil and insightman like this.
  18. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

Unless there are chargers installed not owned by Tesla with the NACS cable or the ability to use an existing J1772 station to a NACS equipped car, then I won't be buying another electric car. NACS might be "better" but it is still way worse with it attached to Musk.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

NACS is just the plug design and the protocols will be under ISO 15118-2 like CCS1 (and CCS2). This may also imply that current Teslas might not be able to charge at a non-supercharger NACS natively and will have to adapt the CCS1-to-Tesla instead!

What we don't know for sure is whether or not a fully occupied Tesla Supercharger site will prioritize Tesla vehicles and derate the non-Tesla NACS vehicles.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  20. pictsidhe

That is already happening. I've been to two eVgo stations that had Tesla cables. It is just a cable change, so not hard to implement. Once The not-Tesla manufacturers start fitting NACS ports, then you will see NACS cables proliferating at not-Tesla stations. At first, possibly at the expense of Chademo. Sorry, Leafers!

JonR likes this.
  21. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I've done zero research, but a buddy has a line on a low-mileage Gen 2 Leaf. Does any company offer CHAdeMOectomies?

22. insightman

One answer from reddit is "no," due to differences in signal handshaking. The reddit contributor says there's a European company that can convert CHAdeMO to the European CCS, but it's not cheap. Loved "CHAdeMOectomies!"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    SameGuy likes this.
  23. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Saw the same sub answer lol