Weird clicking/pulsating noise in cabin...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Linkmodo, Jan 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

See the video I made... It sounds weird and I'm not sure where it came from... At first I thought it was the ac actuator making adjustments when AC is on but I actually had AC turned off completely and I can still hear the noise... Anyone can explain?

Also, off topic... sometimes when in the morning I first turn on the car, I can hear a grinding noise when I try to make a turn and the noise usually goes away after a few min... Anyone else is experiencing the turning noise as well?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I couldn’t hear the clicking, but could the pulsating noise be the tune the pedestrian alert system plays whenever the car is going less than about 18 mph? Kind of sounds like that in the background of the video.

If the start up grinding noise is when you apply the brakes, it’s probably the rust grinding off the rotors since regen can allow the rotors on the front to go unused long enough for them to rust if not driven regularly.

4. MPower

MPower Well-Known Member

The pedestrian warning noise is very strange. It sounds like a meditation group.....OOOOOMMMMMMM. I don't know how anyone would hear that as a warning that a 2 ton vehicle was bearing down on them.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.
  5. It's just a reminder that they are about to be reincarnated if they don't look up from their phone

6. Linkmodo

Linkmodo Member

the noise i'm talking about starts at 12 seconds of the video, not the initial pedestrian warning hum/music... it's more pronounced at 34 seconds

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I tell people it's the guardian angels singing to protect the defenseless (clueless?) pedestrians wandering aimlessly while texting on their phones.

9. laptop

laptop Member

Mine sounds like someone playing a low hum tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. SkipperT

SkipperT Member

Not audible on the video, at least for me anyway.
    Your car sounds just like mine.

-Skip

11. laptop

laptop Member

I think I hear it too. Do you turn on the lane assist?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. eejake

eejake New Member

I also get a clicking noise in the cabin, it reminds me of some kind of intermittent actuator. It does seem to be related to HVAC being on though in my car.

14. mjpmpg

mjpmpg New Member

I hear the same exact noises periodically and also thought that it may have something to do with the AC, but I’ve also heard it when climate control was not activated at all. I’ve actually tried recording it before but haven’t been able to pick it up loudly enough in a recording to share. Definitely not related to LKAS for me. Did you ever figure out what was going on?

To clarify for others who don’t hear it, it is definitely not the pedestrian warning sound. It sounds like some sort of mechanical actuation that seems to come from somewhere in the dash near the tablet, although I haven’t really been able to pinpoint the source.

I haven’t observed any negative behavior so far other than the annoyance factor, even though I’ve been hearing it for at least a few months.

15. Wesley

Wesley New Member

So I've made a post a while back regarding that exact sound. You can see the post here:
    https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/mechanical-whirring-brushing-sounds-in-dashboard.6873/

2002 did some investigative work and my takeaway is that the there's an air mix control door that's constantly shifting and trying to find the "sweet spot" when attempting to maintain the temperature inside vs. outside. For me, I noticed it comes from two spots, both under the driver side and the passenger side but have had no luck in remedying the issue because the technician isn't able to hear the sound / the sound doesn't occur with the technician in the passenger seat.

Needless to say, glad to know I'm not the only one that hears that exact sound occurring.

16. AveSharia

AveSharia New Member

This is not your noise, but I had a similar noise that drove me nuts for like two weeks.

It was my sunglasses in the sunglasses holder.

17. Hoon

Hoon Member

I have a click clack, pause, click click, ... kind of a noise. Climate control is off.

I already padded some foam material on the A pillars and took care of the drive rattle noise.

Lately noticed some faint rattles coming from maybe the headliner. The roof and headliner feels really cheap, just like any other econo car. On my 2015 Mini Cooper, I removed the headliner and added sound deadeners on the roof steel panels, and also added insulation which greatly reduced rain noise on that car. I may try this on my Clarity too. When it rains, it’s so loud inside.

18. Dan J

Dan J New Member

I hear this same sound all the time when the rest of the car and road noise are quiet enough. I've concluded it's probably the autofocus of the front sensor camera. Although like Wesley said above, I've also thought it could also be an air mix control door continuously adjusting.