Weak 12V battery indicator

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Lars, Jan 18, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I have noticed when I was working on connecting an inverter input to the battery, that every time I disconnected the negative (chassis round) from the battery the car lost of my Regen setting (I like to drive with full Regen #3). After reconnecting the battery my #3 setting was replaced by the factory #1 setting.
    Last week for seemingly no reason at all my #3 setting was lost and returned to #1. Hm... after resetting it to #3 all was well until the next day. It was reset again to #1. Strange :(
    Weak battery? My volt meter indicated 11.8V - NOT GOOD! It was the coldest day this winter, -24C, and we planned to drive about a 130km loop. We did not take the risk.
    My Hyundai dealer offered a battery for $209 + tax with exchange for the old one. (Luckily lead acid battery recycling works well!) Just for curiosity I asked for installation cost. It would have been $40 + tax of course.

After some calling around in town I picked up a new battery for $140.90 including tax less refund for the old one. The actual work is easy easy peasy - a walk in the park. All you need is a socket wrench with 10mm and 12mm sockets.

My car has 61,000+km on the odo and it has 41 months on the road. Based on other comments about this battery on this forum I was not totally surprised. I am glad a found the problem while at home, not somewhere on a frigid highway.

Battery type 99R-410. Exact fit, quite a common format. I could have put a higher capacity battery in the car. I did not want to bother. It was too darn cold. :confused:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.