Warming up battery?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Gbuff, Apr 14, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gbuff

Gbuff New Member

Had my Clarity for just 2 weeks. A couple of times got display notification about low temperature, plug in recommended. Today about -5C with ice storm in Ontario and stuck indoors, I checked charge status with Hondalink app. I was surprised to see indication about warming up battery, and too cold for vehicle to operate. Screenshot_20180414-203857.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Gbuff

Gbuff New Member

The "warming up battery" warning message cleared this morning, although car is parked outside and weather still -4C with more freezing rain coming. Definitely need to get garage cleared out so I can avoid iced up car situation. Certainly not the spring weather we're expecting.
    IMG_20180415_093058.jpg

The battery message still seems odd. Temperature of -5C is not really extreme. Has anyone else seen battery temperature warnings?

4. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Is it plugged in when you see that message? I would expect that not to show until -30 C.

Did you actually try to drive it? When the battery is cold it will run in the engine always running mode, so I am wondering if that is what you are seeing. Or would the car not start at all until plugged in?

Edit, where I am going with this: was it just a warning message that it was heating the battery, or was it actually disabled (happens at -30C battery temp)? Maybe it was more informational saying the battery heater was running.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Gbuff

Gbuff New Member

Was plugged in with 120V Honda charger. I didn't attempt to drive it, too much ice build-up, don't want to risk damage from scraping. I did consider trying the pre-conditioning and possibly melt some of the ice. Going to wait until later today when temps should moderate. I'm pretty sure it would have started ok. There was similar cold temperature last week and car ran fine.

6. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Very important for me to see what is happening. I am in Toronto

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That shouldn't happen at -5 C.
    You might have a defective sensor or some such.