VW ID.4 debuts, coming to U.S.

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Domenick, Mar 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Volkswagen ID. 4 has made its official debut. This is the first of the brand's MEB-based electrics coming to the U.S., probably early 2021. It will see European deliveries late this year.

Not a lot of numbers are yet available, but the press release does say the range could be up to 500 km (312 miles) WLTP, depending on the configuration (battery size, all-wheel-drive, etc.).

The styling is pretty straight forward, some might say bland. I think it's a nice, clean look that should hold up for a length of time.

volkswagen-id.4.jpg

1stKonaEV and Clamps like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ITown

ITown Active Member

I had high hopes for the ID4 based on the pricing of the ID3. I'm worried that it'll be priced at or above the Niro EV / Kona EV. If that happens, I suspect it's less likely to draw large sales figures in the USA. I guess we'll know more when it debuts formally. I will say though, I think the aesthetics are a notch or two above the Kona/Niro.

4. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

I don't think you can compare the ID.4 to the Kona Electric or the Niro EV. For one thing the Kona/Niro are not dedicated EVs. The Kona Electric and the Niro EV are definitely great cars but significant advantages to building a dedicated EV particularly in interior dimensions.

Also, the ID.4 is a class above the Kona Electric and the Niro EV. The ID.4 will come with AWD and real rated towing capacity, neither the Kona Electric or the Niro EV come with these. Also the ID.4 with AWD will have 50% more power than either the Kona Electric or the Niro EV.

Sales of the Kona Electric and the Niro EV have always been pathetic in the USA primarily because Hyundai/Kia doesn't try to support the demand. VW has a huge stake in the ID.4 and I expect a huge push by VW to sell the ID.4 in the USA. Personally, I love my Niro EV but I will be seriously considering getting an ID.4 once the lease on my Niro EV is up.