Volvo EX30 Debuts With A $34,950 Price Tag

Discussion in 'EX30' started by Domenick, Jun 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Volvo EX30 has made its official debut and it looks like there's lots here to get excited about.

The headline price for the base vehicle is surprisingly low at $35K (around 36,000 Euros in Europe) and the acceleration performance of the spiciest trim – Twin Motor Performance – especially quick with a 3.4-second 0-60. Pre-orders are open now for US customers ($500 refundable).

Two different batteries are available for Europe – 49 kWh LFP and 64 kWh (NMC) – while the US only gets the big one. Range is given as up to 275 miles with the single motor and 265 with the dual motor. Range for the small LFP pack with a single motor is 200 miles.

The single rear motor offers 268 horsepower (200 kW) and 253 pound-feet and does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. The dual motor boasts 315 kW and 400 lb-ft of torque for that 3.4-second 0-60.

DC fast charging peak power of 153 kW, enabling a 10-80 percent charging cycle in a little over 26.5 minutes. The LFP battery version charges at up to 134 kW, needing 26 minutes to complete the same cycle.

AC charging power is 11 kW.

Size plays a key role for this compact crossover – it's just a tad longer overall than a Hyundai Kona Electric. It's official dimensions are 166.6 inches (4,233 millimeters) long, 72.3 in (1,837 mm) wide, and 61.2 in (1,555) mm high, with a wheelbase of 104.3 in (2,650 mm).

A Cross Country trim can be ordered in 2024, which will add more ground clearance, 19-inch black wheels or 18-inch wheels with bespoke all-terrain tires, skid plates, special black panels on the front bumper and trunk lid, and Cross Country branding.

So, those are the basic facts. If you have any more info please feel free to share below.

2024-volvo-ex30-exterior 1.jpg 2024-volvo-ex30-exterior 2.jpg 2024-volvo-ex30-exterior 3.jpg 2024-volvo-ex30-interior 1.jpg

Andre Laurence and Valtor like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The debut promotional video is actually pretty great too, so sharing here, along with footage of the entire debut envent and first impressions from the Out of Spec crew.

4. I love my Kona EV for the size and range, but I think this goes well beyond that in terms of design and tech. The preview and preliminary specs excited me enough to put a deposit down, so now the anticipation starts...

Domenick likes this.
  5. Congrats! This will be a great replacement for a Kona Electric.
    Hoping you'll share your configuration come Fall, when that opens up. Are you thinking single motor or dual?
    I'm curious, for one, if that glass roof makes it to the base car. Either way, though, the package and performance should be well worth the price.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  6. I didn't see a driver side dash. Does it have a HUD?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I don't believe so. There's a small box on the steering wheel, but I think it's just for monitoring the driver's eyes.

9. That would be a show stopper for me. I really don't like driving my son's M3, when I compare it my Kona with the HUD and my Solterra, with the driver dash up high (very much like a HUD). My Ioniq 6 (should get it in a couple weeks) will also have HUD. Worked really well on my test ride. I think all cars should have something like that. I never want to go back to be without, that's for sure.

insightman and Domenick like this.
  10. Also appears to not have memory seats. Kona didn't have them either, and was really annoying when both my wife and I drove the car. Rear looks tight as was the Kona. But it is cheap, very. 2024 Kona will have some real competition, for sure.

11. It should have a bit more rear leg room than Kona. I don't know if memory seats will be an option. Something to look out for.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Valtor

Valtor New Member

Volvo confirmed that there will be no possibility of a HUD.

Domenick likes this.
  14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Well, at least it has a rear wiper, but why not increase profits by offering a more expensive model with a HUD and memory seats?

15. Vance

Vance New Member

Love the looks of this little car! We placed a reservation yesterday. Hopefully the base model comes with a solid roof. Glass roofs get hot!

Rented a Model 3 last year and quickly adjusted to the central screen. The additional steering wheel controls here will make the Volvo easier to use as well.

Domenick likes this.
  16. Such a great-looking car and a perfect swap for my 2019 Kona. Even the Australian price looks very sharp.
    No HUD? Bummer.
    Boot-space is woeful too - even worse than the Kona! At least it has a frunk.
    Everything else looks good.

Domenick likes this.
  17. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I wonder if this is for Volvo’s next gen drivers assistance?
    Kyle was about the only reviewer I saw that touched on this briefly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. If the boot space is less than the Kona, then the back seat should gain a bit.

19. Yes, it's for the driver assist system.

20. Happy to share when the configuration opens. Right now I'm leaning towards the single motor. The dual's power and acceleration are INSANE but when I think of my actual use/needs in a vehicle the upper trim of the single motor fits best.

Orchardman and Domenick like this.
  21. Thanks Josh815. We are likely to be 18mo behind the US getting it here, so I'll happily soak up all the chat and experiences.

Domenick likes this.
  22. Thanks for the details. I look forward to reviewing the EX30. At the price advertised it is going to make a dent in the Kona Electric sales and makes me wonder if Hyundai will respond with a price drop.

Domenick likes this.
  23. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Assuming the $34,950 USD price includes the 27.5% import tariff the US assesses on vehicles made in China, Volvo and their dealers will split up about $27,412 for this EV.

If the price doesn't include the Chinese-vehicle tariff, the base model will cost close to $44,600.

This could be the rare vehicle that costs less in Canada than in the US (unless Volvo forces Canadians to help reduce the price of an XC30 in the US).

Either way, I expect dealers will respond to the high demand for the XC30 by larding on hefty "market adjustments."