Video - What Rivian is doing that Tesla isn't

Discussion in 'Rivian' started by Domenick, Jun 12, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Business Insider put together a video titled What EV Start-Up Rivian Is Doing That Tesla Isn't
    that I thought was worth sharing.

So, what are these thing, exactly? Well, there are a few points made in this short video, which also offers some background on the company and a look at the truck.

For one, Rivian is starting with a truck instead of a sports car (kind of obvious, I know).

Two, Rivian is "cozying up" with Detroit, whereas BI contends Tesla prefers to operate as a software company. This is true to a point -- Musk sometimes makes huge spur of the moment decisions rather than the careful, committee-vetted approach seen in typical auto companies -- but I feel misses out on the fact that both Mercedes and Toyota have partnered with Tesla in the past, and that GM and FCA have deals with Tesla with clean air credits in Europe.
    Still, it's a valid point that Rivian seems to have more convivial and constructive relationships with Ford and GM.

The next difference called be called "Underpromise, overdeliver." Since they haven't started delivering vehicles yet, it's kind of hard to say Rivian is living up to this solid strategy. I like to take people at their word, though, and am hopeful the performance of its vehicles (and the company more generally) live up to this ideal.

For its part, Tesla has, via its CEO Elon Musk, made some pretty big promises and coe up short on delivery. Not always, of course. Sometimes they come through quite nicely, sometimes they come through but with a much later timeline, and in some cases haven't come through. A mixed bag, in my opinion, and it would behoove Rivian (or any company) to really be careful about the expectations they set.

The video asks an interesting question near the end: Should electric automakers like Tesla be nervous?"
    Here, I think BI guy Matt DeBord really gets it right. Rivian will take some "bandwidth" from Tesla, and that's a good thing. It's good for RIvian, electric vehicles in general, and even Tesla.

1 person likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Timothy McDowell

Timothy McDowell New Member

With all do respect, I think the statement that Rivian is becoming a household name is premature. I recently met a couple with their second Model S who hadn't heard of Rivian and they were already "in the fold." I've been educating many of the people that I come into contact with regarding the up and coming company that I am so excited about. However; I'm more than willing to admit that I am a little bit of a zealot and I have already placed my pre-order. "They're going to use a factory in Illinois that they purchased from a traditional automaker, Mitsubishi. They're going to pair up with Ford. They may pair up with other automakers...." So, the NUMMI plant that Tesla opened wasn't from a traditional automaker? They're right! It was from two, GM and Toyota. Domenick already covered Tesla's partnerships with "traditional automakers." I also think that Rivian may lose out on a significant part of the market with that short bed. I agree completely that the competition will be good for this revolutionary industry.

4. I would love a longer bed with maybe a king cab. The problem is the cost of producing these sorts of variations straight out of the gate. Maybe we'll see some bed/cab options down the road, though.
    The Rivian R1T isn't aiming to be a one-size-fits-all kind of truck. It targets a pretty specific niche. Hopefully, there are enough people out there who want this kind of capability in a vehicle and the company gets the sales to keep the plant cranking.