Video - Project Arrow EV at the Montréal EV Show

Discussion in 'General' started by Andre Laurence, May 5, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Montréal EV show had Project Arrow, the Canadian prototype EV and I got access! Also present were the Corvette E-Ray, Cadillac Lyriq, BMW iX, Chevy Equinox EV, Kia EV6 GT, Ford F-150 Lightning, Vinfast VF9, and much more. I recorded as many cars as I could get into in the time I had, to give you mini reviews of each. There were more vehicles than I could get to, including the Lucid Air, but I will get around to testing one. Let me know which EV you would most like to see up close and personal in a video by posting it in the comment section of the video.

R P and Domenick like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Wow, a whole auto show in just 24 minutes! I appreciate your informative opinions and the concise editing. Looking forward to your Ioniq 6 review.

Domenick and Andre Laurence like this.
  4. I am glad you liked it. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your comment.

5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

There is a lot of bitterness in some Canadian circles regarding the Arrow name. Post WW2 seeing the need to develop a new fighter jet to patrol Canada's vast North land against a possible Soviet incursion the federal gov't commissioned the Avro corporation to design and build such an aircraft. Like any new high tech product it sure was a sink hole of development costs and the opposition Conservatives were making much ballyhoo about excessive gov't spending (nothing new here eh?) Nonetheless the project persevered and the Avro Arrow was born. It was by far the most advanced piece of hardware for it's time.

Then disaster. The Conservatives won the next federal election and in due course cancelled the project. This was after two working proto types had been fully developed and things were ready to go into production. The gov't ordered the newly built prototypes to be cut up with torches and all the blueprints confiscated and destroyed. Why why why?

It turns out that some sources believe that the American military industrial complex (which Dwight Eisenhauer had warned about) were freaking out at the capabilities of this plane. They were convinced that there were Soviet moles in the factory and were terrified at the thoughts of the Russians building such an advanced device.

Canada could have been a world leader in aviation design but the cancellation of this project forced Avro into bankruptcy. The plan was that once the Arrow project was completed Avro would go on to build passenger aircraft. Many of the engineers left Canada to work in the U.S. The loss of this talent was incalculable and our industries never really recovered from this disaster. You can bet your boots that if a car named Arrow were to be designed and built in Canada I would be first in line to buy one. Readers who find this interesting should search "Avro Arrow".

Domenick and Andre Laurence like this.
  6. Yep, the story is a very interesting one. There are a couple of excellent documentaries on the subject and I highly recommend watching them.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DJP

DJP Active Member

I'm perplexed by your comments on the Ariya's doors. In the two months I've owned one I've never thought the doors felt or sounded "plasticy" or that it indicated the car was of low quality. I know that some take the door closing sound terribly seriously but it's beyond me how that indicates quality. I tend to trust my eyes for that information and my eyes haven't seen anything lacking in quality in the car, including the doors.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. I am guessing you did not watch/hear the statement I made just before making the comment about the doors and handles, where I stated that it means nothing about quality of the vehicle and that it is totally subjective.

10. Finally had time to watch your vid, and again great job, Andre. You do indeed point out interesting things that other reviewers miss or ignore.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Andre Laurence likes this.
  11. Thank you very much. I am glad that you liked it and that I was able to give a different perspective

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. DJP

DJP Active Member

Actually I did. My point was I found it odd you would find a metal door with metal handle feel and sound "plasticy" when compared to my own experience. I'm not saying your experience is wrong, just difficult for me to comprehend.

14. I have driven and experienced many EVs from Polestar, Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Ford, and in most cases the feeling the door and handle give is far more robust as compared to the Nissan Ariya. Add to that 35 years of owning and driving dozens of car brands and models, and that is the feeling the Ariya gives me. Like I mention, it is a subjective opinion.

15. DJP

DJP Active Member

No worries, mate. You're the expert. I'm a mere amateur with car doors. I think my first experience with car doors was in 1955. My dad owned a Studebaker! I hated that car. I called it a "Stupidbaker". :)

Andre Laurence likes this.
  16. randyortom

randyortom New Member

Don't worry guy..... An expert person have many options . My first car i drived in 2022. One of my friends make my first time driving. i have edited the video from capcut app

17. jerrothomas

jerrothomas New Member

I have driven and experienced many EVs from Polestar, Tesla, Kia, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Ford, and in most cases the feeling the door and handle give is far more robust as compared to the Nissan Ariya. Add to that 35 years of owning and driving dozens of car brands and models, and that is the feeling the Ariya gives me. Like I mention, it is a subjective opinion.