Video - Kia EV6 "Hidden" Features

Discussion in 'Kia EV6' started by Andre Laurence, Apr 22, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. My second EV6 video went live this morning. The Kia EV6 is loaded with technology, but some things are difficult to find, and some are almost impossible to know about unless you read the giant manual. In this video I show you how to access some of these features. Since the Hyundai Ioniq 5 shares the same platform and technology as the Kia EV6, some of these tips and tricks should apply to it as well. There are surely features that I have not covered in this video, but that is what Part 2 videos are for . I hope you like it.

LegoZ, Alan E, Domenick and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks Andre. I managed to stumble across all of these topics just by frequent playing around with controls. The dipping mirrors are very helpful. One thing not mentioned is the emergency pull knob in the back, just inside of the charge port, to unlock a charging cable if the car refuses to release the head. At first I thought that it was there to open the charge port cover if it refuses to open with a push. A closer look at the manual made it clear that it releases the cable.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does having that knob mean you cannot prevent someone from unplugging your EV6 before you want it unplugged?

5. The manual release is not related to the locking of the charging pistol. In Kia and Hyundai EVs you can choose to lock the pistol when plugged in, or you can have it not lock. By default the vehicle locks the pistol when charging and it stays locked until you unlock the doors. If you do not remove the charging pistol within 20 seconds the car locks it again.

Kirk and insightman like this.
  6. Thanks. I have it noted for the part 2 :)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks for the clarification. My MINI Cooper SE locks the pistol in place while charging if the doors are locked, but it releases the pistol when charging is complete. Is that an option with Kia/Hyundai EVs?

I really enjoy your well-made videos (you have the perfect voice for these things) even though I'll never own an EV6 (perhaps a Hyundai Ioniq 6, but never a crossover). I finally saw an EV6 up close a the local Drive Electric Earth Day event last Sunday and it looks better in person than in photos.

Domenick and Andre Laurence like this.
  9. The unlock feature in the Hyundai and Kia EVs is that the pistol stays locked until the charge is complete, then it releases the lock. Very convenient.
    I agree that the EV6 looks better in person, although I still think it looks amazing in pictures :)
    Thank you for your compliment, I appreciate it because I put a lot of effort into making my videos and try to improve something every time I make a new one.
    Thanks again.

insightman likes this.
  10. buss69

buss69 New Member

Nicely made video, looking forward to implementing these tips when my EV6 arrives in Feb (23)!
    Question for you. Does the mode button on the steering wheel switch between driving specific functions (like my Ioniq Electric did) as well as activating the radio?

11. Thank you and I hope you get your EV6 sooner.
    The Mode button on the steering wheel will not only turn on the radio, but it will toggle between XM, nature sounds, radio, Bluetooth.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. NoJacketRequired

NoJacketRequired New Member

Hi Andre - fellow canuck here, not too far away in the nation's capital. We currently have a (gas) Kia Soul and have been looking at going to an EV. My wife has limited mobility, so getting in a car and exiting a car is a big deal for her. We chose the Kia Soul specifically for its big square doors and ease of access.

Most EV reviewers don't cover the more mundane points of car ownership like ease of access and size of blind spots. I'm hoping you will produce a review which highlights these most basic mechanical features of the various EV cars.

At the moment our default EV choice is the Soul EV but even my wife looks at that car and says "it would go further on a charge if it were more aerodynamic", so she sees the natural limitations of the Soul as an EV platform. We would love to be able to consider other models, but without a floor model to test (there are no EV's on showroom floors anywhere, regardless of make/model) we can't just blindly order a new EV without knowing that my wife can get in and out of the darned thing.

Your videos are excellent and I'm hoping to watch more of them. Maybe, just maybe you'll take pity on those of us who want to know more about the most basic features of the car rather than the more esoteric "features behind the features" evaluation.

Thanks!

14. Thank you very much, and I will be making more videos about regular use subjects, it is just a matter of finding the time. I would really love to do it as my main job because I love doing it, but I need to pay bills and we just bought a house ;). Stay tuned, there will be more to come.

If you ever come to Montréal with your wife, send me a message on Facebook and I would be more than happy to let you and your wife see what it is like to sit, in, get in and out, and take you for a ride.

15. NoJacketRequired

NoJacketRequired New Member

Thank you for that very kind offer - we haven't yet even seen one on the road here!