Video - 12V Battery Protection: Powercell 8 Review

Discussion in 'General' started by Andre Laurence, Jun 17, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Depending on the EV you have, and how the 12V battery maintenance software is programmed (looking at you Hyundai, Kia and Genesis), your car’s 12V accessory battery can get drained if you have an accessory like a dashcam that runs 24/7. Fortunately, there are solutions to protect your 12V battery and the Blackboxmycar Powercell 8 Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack is one of them. I made this video to show the product and its details, how it can be installed, and share pricing details. I hope you like it.

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good job with the vid, as always. Looks like a great product and should provide the ultimate protection against 12v battery drainage by your dash cam. I am sure there will be many that will want this product and your install instructions will be most helpful. And if you use Park Mode with your dash cam, a device like this is almost a must.

But it is not for me, and here are my reasons. Of course this is just my opinion, and don't expect everyone to agree. My circumstances may be different than most as well. My cars are garaged at home, and I avoid parking in higher risk crime areas. My Solterra, however, did come with a dealer installed hard wired dash cam (front and back). First thing I did was turn off the Park Mode setting.

That power pack is a little pricey, I thought, and you could buy a couple 12v replacements for that money. I do carry jumper cables in my cars, in case the 12v ever does go flat. And as you clearly point out, it is not a simple quick installation.

I see you have a BM2 on your 12v battery. I have used those in all my cars for several years now, and that has been my best protection against letting a 12v get run down and ruined.

Anyway, just my counter opinion, FWIW. And again, great job on the vid, and am sure it will be very helpful for those that want the ultimate solution.

Andre Laurence likes this.
  4. Thank you very much, and thanks for the info. I agree about the price, like I mention in the video, it isn't cheap and installation was no fun :)
    The 12V battery monitor is nice and I have used it since the middle of last year. It is very useful because it showed me that, prior to the software update of my car, the 12V maintenance was not great. The dashcam is not much of an issue in the warmer weather, but in the winter I noticed that the 12V took a bigger hit. When the 12V was weakened I had to boost my car several times with my jumper pack, so I am very happy to have the Powercell 8 installed. Fortunately I got it for free, although spending 40 hours making this video is not really free after all, is it ;)
    Thanks again and thanks for taking the time to watch my video.

R P likes this.
  5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I assume it has an internal BMS and stops itself from charging at some suitable point? Any idea what
    charge range of its internal battery it may try to stay within?

I'm still looking for a LFP pack or the like that can substitute for the *main* 12V but protect itself against
    overcharge. That's a tough call, when you think about how it has to work...

_H*

Andre Laurence likes this.
  6. I am not sure about the electronics inside, but it was built to last. Being LFP the battery is more than happy to be at 100% all the time, and actually prefers 100%, and can discharge to 0% without taking damage.

7. To remove this ad click here.