Velocity Mode OTA Available for Purchase

Discussion in 'LYRIQ' started by Nebula, Sep 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cadillac is now making available to 2024 Lyriq AWD and eventually 2023 Lyriq AWD Owners a new Driving Mode called Velocity Mode that will decrease 0-60 times by .3 seconds to 4.4 Seconds and increase the torque by 100 Nm to 710 Nm. This puts the US AWD Lyriq on par with the Chinese Lyriq calibrations. I believe GM detuned or limited power output originally for US AWD Lyriqs to increase range.

The one time OTA Purchase for the Lyriq is $1,200. It is loaded into the vehicle and is not linked to a GM account and will stay with the vehicle when sold or returned from lease.

https://www.cadillac.com/ownercenter/onstar/shop/velocity

https://www.onstar.com/support/faq/velocity-mode

Screenshot_A.jpg Screenshot_B.jpg Screenshot_C.jpg Screenshot_D.jpg Screenshot_E.jpg Screenshot_F.jpg Screenshot_G.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Cadillac should offer a one-day free trial so Lyric owners can decide if 0.3 seconds is worth $1,200 (and, I suspect, a reduction in range).

Will Cadillac offer a 0.6-second OTA upgrade option next year for $2,400?

Domenick likes this.
  4. You have 7 days to request a refund. So you have a week to test it out and see if you like it or not.

insightman and Domenick like this.
  5. This is the kind of thing I hate as a consumer: being sold something that isn't optimized and then having it held out as an chargeable upgrade. Tesla gets lots wrong, but I do like how they add content and improvements and (usually) don't charge for them.
    Puts me in mind of the rear seat heat subscriptions at BMW (something they've just ended).

insightman likes this.
  6. You are forgetting that Tesla does charge for them... They sold two versions of a Performance Boost OTA upgrade for the Model Y that took the 0-60 down quite a bit. The prices ranged from $1100 to $2250.

https://insideevs.com/news/447311/what-2000-tesla-acceleration-boost-does

GM is also making this a permanent upgrade for the vehicle you can pass to other future owners.

Also I wouldn't call this not optimized. GM had this calibration for the Chinese market and detuned the US version for range, smoother acceleration, and cushier ride for the Cadillac demographic here. GM is just now letting you unlock this new mode for those who want more power here in the States.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
    Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I speculated that the upgrade in power would result in a downgrade in range. Does Cadillac reveal the power-upgrade'***** on the Lyriq's range?

Edit: LOL! I should have written "reveal the hit on the Lyriq's range from the power-upgrade." By using the possessive of power-upgrade followed by "hit" the auto-censor kicked in even though there was a space between the apostrophe-"s" and "hit"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  9. This update replaces Sport mode with Velocity mode so I assume only the full power of the motors are unlocked while in this mode. In China, however, the base motors are rated at this new calibration stock.

It should have some impact on range but I'm not sure how much... The Lyriq Battery in China is also slightly smaller.

insightman likes this.
  10. Yeah, Tesla does things like this sometimes too, so great point, but they're also known for making continuously small improvements and adding free features with OTA updates, which was where my mind was.

11. GM is doing the same. Since the Lyriq has been out we have been seeing 1 to 3 OTAs a month fixing bugs and adding features. Just recently they updated Android 11 in DE/23s to Android 12 to match the 24s and add feature parity and resolve bugs. Also enabling themes and gaining access to more apps in the Play Store.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.