Vegas Road Trip

Discussion in 'General' started by Kevin Gilmore, Jul 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kevin Gilmore

Kevin Gilmore New Member

I posted this in the Hyundai/Kia forum, but thought I might get some good insights from non-Kona EV drivers, so I am sharing it here as well....

I'm looking at making my first long-distance road trip from Bakersfield to Las Vegas in my Kona EV. Has anybody made the trip with any tips to share?

With the AC on, I'm averaging between 3.2 and 3.4 in freeway driving. I'm not sure what to expect with the three big climbs on this trip. Also don't know how the desert heat will affect range and charging times.

I'd appreciate any advice/tips from those who have made the trip (in a Kona or other EV).

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I made that trip (LA-Vegas) in my Kona a few times. Easiest drive ever. My stops were Victorville, and Baker. Leaving either end with 80%. Drive normally, don't worry, enjoy the drive.

The drive from Bakersfield to Barstow shouldn't be a problem at all. If you left with 90% you'll still have 30% getting there. In theory you could get all the way to Las Vegas if you charge to 80% there. But I'd plan for a few minutes in Baker, just so that you don't arrive with 5% in Vegas.

4. Kevin Gilmore

Kevin Gilmore New Member

Good to know. With the climb out of Bako and then the two climbs between Barstow and Vegas, I'm not sure how much faith I'll have in the GOM. Adding the top off stop in Baker is probably a good call. Thanks!

5. I live in Tehachapi. If your taking the 58 you will use about 20-30 miles extra to clime the grade. There are fast chargers in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Boron. The one in Boron is at the rest stop and it’s free. Even at 80% charge you will have no problem getting to Boron. Just stop for 15 minutes and top up. Makes a nice rest break. I have driven in 100+ weather and don’t see much effect on the range. I
    drove up 5 to Oregon in august with 110 + weather no issues. Over 500 miles that day

Kevin Gilmore likes this.