V-Box 0 to 60 testing of the Mini SE!

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Matt Shumaker, May 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

Hey Guys and Gals!

I just got back from shooting a video of V-Box testing of my Mini SE. The results? The fastest time I recorded (repeatedly) was 0 to 60 in 6.3 seconds!

I am uploading a video of it right now.

Also, there is no difference in acceleration time with or without traction control and the driving mode makes no difference either.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Matt Shumaker

Domenick and SmartElectric like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Thanks, Matt! I've been waiting for this one. It is both a very exciting video (because it reveals BMW was sandbagging) and a very boring video (because the car is so quiet and you can't include a terrified passenger and still get your best times).

5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

At 28 kWh usable battery, that is a pretty strong acceleration figure. Obviously, the i3s is quicker. Note there are a few other small EV's are in the same acceleration range as the Mini SE like the Chevy Bolt, but for the most part, this is a strong result.

6. Matt Shumaker

The i3 is not quicker.......

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

The i3s is 6.3 seconds to 60 as reported by car and driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a20964332/2018-bmw-i3s-with-range-extender-test-review/

As we know, the i3s is the original car the Mini motor comes from, and the car that is made from carbon re-enforced plastic, and is therefore substantially lighter (1350 kg) than the Mini (1430 kg) and is rear wheel drive so the weight shift on acceleration aids takeoff, and of course also uses the same battery.

Most of your runs were in the 6.4 to 6.7s range. One got near 6.5 with traction control muted, and at 5:43 you did get one 6.3 run in.
    Did you publish the v-box ?

9. Matt Shumaker

I actually got numerous 6.3 second runs.

insightman likes this.