Using the level 1 charger on 220 VAC.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ken wells, Feb 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ken wells

ken wells Member

From everything I have read about level I and level II chargers (SAE J1772 standard), the cord connecting dock AC to the charge port is voltage agnostic. It tells the built in charger how much current can be supplied, but essentially ignores the voltage. The in-car charger then uses the applied voltage and current limits it to the lesser of the cord limit or the charger limit. Since Honda sells the Clarity into 220 VAC markets (Europe, etc), it would make (engineering) sense to build the cord for 110 or 220 volts and then put on a wall plug appropriate to the market voltage. If this is true, one could use the cord (with appropriate plug) as a 12 Ampere 220 VAC level II charger. This would allow charging in 6+ hours instead of 12+. I'm not about to try this, but I am curious if anyone has explored this possibility. NOTE: I am not encouraging experimentation, just looking for actual data or circuit diagrams that would confirm or dispute this assertion.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JCA

JCA Active Member

You're probably right that the *car* should be able to detect and handle 120V or 240V, since the J1772 pilot tone only communicates the current available.

However, the cord's internal logic would have to tolerate 240V also (it *might* be a switching power supply like many phones, but it might not), and the relay's contacts may or may not be rated for 240V.

It would be a fun experiment, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to risk a $30,000 car or a $XXX,000 house...

4. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

I use a Duosida EV charger and love that it is dual voltage (120 & 240 V).
    Only using 120VAC from the garage socket (L1), for the same voltage, the Duosida draws more current than the Honda OEM charger.

Charge times are shortened by around 25% using the Duosida charger in L1 (120VAC).
    The Duosida draws about 25% more current than the Honda so it's not the voltage, it's the design of the charger.

So now I keep the Honda charger in the truck tied up to the compressor tie down for portable use when I travel....