Using chains on Niro EV

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by SteveA, Dec 21, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SteveA

SteveA New Member

I need to get some chains (traction cables more specifically) for an uocoming trip to the mountains and checked the user manual to see what it had to say. And the main instruction it gave was that “tire
    chains, if necessary, should be installed on the rear wheels.” On a car that is only available with front wheel drive? I’m thinking this must be another users manual error, which wouldn’t be the first I’ve tripped across. Do folks agree they need to go on the drive wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I've used chains a few times, even once on a 4WD Subaru (not sure why). I'm pretty sure you're right, just checked my 2019 manual and they got it right on my PDF edition.

Tire chains
    When using tire chains, install tire
    chains only on the front tires.

I'd like to know how it goes. I currently have a gas powered Toyota to drive through the mountains, but I've always wondered how the Kia would do, especially if I did chain up. I would be worried about the extra weight of the batteries and whether regenerative braking and all the lines of computer programming would react appropriately in snowy conditions.