Using cell service for wifi signal

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jordan, Jul 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jordan

Jordan Member

Is there any service where I can turn my car into a wifi signal using cellular service? I called AT&T as they have a 20/month service for cars but the clarity isn't compatible. If not, why have the wifi in the car?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

It can connect to your home WiFi or WiFi hot spots but as you say, why? No good use that I can think of and I found it a little slow from my driveway. If I need to, I just tether to my phone and find it quicker. I don’t know, maybe useful if you don’t have unlimited tethering on your phone? But I am anything but a tech savvy guy.
    Anybody found a good use for this?

4. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Active Member

The wifi is for some audio services in the car. It might be able to display the song title, artist, etc. You need to provide wifi to the car, not the car provide wifi. Some cell phone plans allow you to turn your cellphone into a hotspot. I find the commercials touting wifi in the car to be useless because you can turn your phone into a hotspot with the right plan and phone.

5. Jordan

Jordan Member

Well the right plan and phone is the key. I got that crazy cheap Sprint plan for 15 a month for unlimited but I can't hotspot. I called at&t back because I didn't believe that it wasn't compatible and this guy, after like 20 minutes thinks it will work and the technical department will get back to me within 2 days. They have a plan for 20/month for unlimited which is awesome. He told me that the car should be able to output a WiFi signal with no hotspotting device. We'll see. I'll be sure to post when I hear for sure.

Johnhaydev likes this.
  6. Jordan

Jordan Member

Nope, it won't work. Sad day...

7. To remove this ad click here.