Undercarriage noise.

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Ed V, Jan 15, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ed V

Ed V New Member

I don't drive our Ioniq as much as my wife, but yesterday while driving noticed the undercarriage was making noise that wasn't road noise. Kind of a creaking or shifting noise. I don't recall hearing that before. It seemed to be coming from the rear. Anyone have similar issues?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When do you hear the noise? When you're cornering right? When you're cornering left? When you're going over a speed-bump? When you're accelerating or decelerating? When you're decelerating using regen or using the brakes? When you're going fast or slow? Is the noise constant or intermittent? Can you make the noise happen upon command? If you can make it happen on command, you can demonstrate it to your dealer's service personnel. If it's intermittent, it will never happen when you want it to.

4. Ed V

Ed V New Member

I should have been more specific. It doesn't seem to be drivetrain related, more like something is loose. My wife thinks it is a creaking sound. Not using the brakes nor accelerating.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If you can make it happen when the service advisor is riding with you, maybe they will figure out where to look.

6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Since it’s toward the rear, it might be the same as the creak in mine. It’s not intermittent for me; it’s every bump. I plan to have service look it over when I go in this spring. Something is shifting around or loose.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Geezer

Geezer New Member

Rear hatch, perhaps?

9. Sandroad

Just a quick follow-up. I flagged the rear knocking/creaking noise at my 5000 mile service. The technician said he could not find anything loose in the hatch. He didn’t have time to look elsewhere and said if it gets worse to bring it back. I think this will fall under the category of the key to happiness with vehicles is to keep your expectations low. I will investigate further myself, but as long as nothing big or important falls off I’ll just live with rattles.

10. Sandroad

Follow-up #2. The creaking in the rear got worse and developed into an obnoxious clanking. So when we took it in for the DC-DC charger recall this week, we had the tech track it down. It was a mis-adjusted rear hatch tensioner that allowed the hatch to shift enough to miss its bump-stops. They adjusted both tensioners and the noise is gone.

However, in their noise checking work, the tech discovered the canister of sealant in the tire mobility kit had ruptured its seal and leaked all over the compartment under the rear cargo area. Good thing we didn’t have anything stored there! It was a big mess and they ordered new carpet and a new tire mobility kit. :confused: