Unable to SYNC my CONTACTS from Android to NAV System

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Tim94549, Dec 16, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

New owner of a 2020 Kona EV. I'm at a loss why this won't work and what I may be doing wrong - could use some technical knowledge.
    20191215_104304.jpg 20191215_104311.jpg 20191215_104304.jpg 20191215_104311.jpg
    At the dealership when delivered, we SYNC'd my Samsung Galaxy 6 Android phone with the Bluetooth on the car. Easy peasy. At the end of the SUNC'ing process, it display on the Car's screen "Downloading Contacts" and 30 secs or so later, it said "Completed" .. However when I go into NAVIGATION, I have none of the CONTACTS in the car's system. So in the comfort of my garage with manual in hand, I tried again - same results. (see attached images)

- Deleted the Phone (unpaired it) in BT
    - Added/Repaired Phone successfully
    - Again received notifications "downloading contacts" .. successful. hmmm.
    - Went to NAV - nothing in my CONTACTS Address
    - Connected phone via USB Cable (the one that came with phone - solid connection)
    - In NAV / MY DATA / IMPORT ADDRESS BOOK FROM USB DEVICE
    - error: UNABLE TO ACCESS USB

So my thought was this specific task using NAV as the IMPORT function is not able to "see" the Phone as an eligible USB input. SO I went into my Phone CONTACTS and ran an "EXPORT" of my CONTACTS - which created a CONTACT.VCF file. I copied that to a USB Stick. And went thru the process again of IMPORTING to NAV, but inserting the USB Stick as the input. THIS TIME it gave me an error of "No File Found" ...

So MAYBE I'm on the right path - I just need to somehow get my contacts into some proper file format on the USB stick???? But HOW?

I know it shouldn't be this hard - but I'm really frustrated in what should be so straightforward. And I REALLY don't want to have to REKEY each contact address in the NAV screen !! Anyone know technically how this works? or what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance - nice to have found this forum.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jeezus. Another example of technology making an easy thing complicated.

4. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Yea, I know ... I am REALLY REALLY curious if ANYONE has had any luck getting their CONTACTS' address IMPORTED for use in the Navigation system. They're all there for PHONE use as long as I have BLUETOOTH enabled ... so of course their being accessed directly ON my phone ... not the Kona's Storage.

5. I don't own a cell phone but I do use the USB for music. The file formats listed in the mutimedia manual page 12-9 are FAT16/32 (recommended) , exFAT and NTFS.
    I used the HP USB disk storage software format tool V.2.2.3 (free online) for a FAT32 system on my Lexar 64 gigabyte stick and it works fine in the car.
    Hope that helps

6. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I can play MUSIC from my Phone just fine ... Bluetooth or USB ...

DO you have CONTACTS in your NAVIGATION system ????? Did you key them in Manually into the NAV system? or IMPORT them from your phone?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

I posted about this in another thread (two, actually). Turns out Hyundai does not import addresses from your phone's contact list...only phone numbers. To use your phone's addresses for navigation, you must use either Android Auto or Apple Car Play. It's hard to believe a fully loaded car (mine is the Ultimate) in 2020 lacks such basic functionality. Also, the import function in the address book is limited to about 50-something contacts, so that's a no-go as well, even if you manage to get the import files created properly.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Does *any* car support importing addresses in addition to phone numbers? I have yet to see one myself, but I haven't tried enough to make much of a statement.

10. CaliKona

CaliKona New Member

Yes. My 2015 Audi A3 does (and I'm sure it's not the only one). As long as my phone is synced via BlueTooth, the Audi has ALL of my contact info, including addresses. In the nav system, I can search by name (first or last...it's smart enough to look at both), and it'll pull up the address(es) for that contact. If there's more than one (ex: home, work), it'll let me choose which one. That functionality worked the first two years when I had an iPhone, and has worked ever since with my Android. Phone contacts are pretty standardized...it really isn't difficult for the auto makers to do.