Uh oh- Is the HV range ‘really’ fixed for all of us?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ken7, Jul 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

So today was our first depletion of our EV range and subsequent use of our ICE since the HV software update.

At the point the ICE turned on, we were showing 332 miles. As we returned home, we drove and drove and drove some more. 45 miles later, we were still showing a 332 HV range despite losing 2 notches on the gas graphical display on the right. Not good, been there done this.

We decided to stop for a slice of pizza, at which point I thought the HV range would correct itself after dinner and our return to the car. Wrong, upon starting the car, the HV range was still stuck at 332. For the remaining 7 or so miles home, the HV range finally dropped about 6 miles. Why? I have no idea.

This is a bit concerning, as I thought this issue was behind us.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Still calibrating, perhaps?

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Uh oh, I thought mine was fixed but it went from 357 at the fix to 322 also after a 500 mile HV trip and final fill up.
    Anybody else who’ve HVed and filled up after the fix??

Johnhaydev likes this.
  5. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Ken, how did the HV range change as you were driving on the ICE? Did it show you a steady, predictable lowering of range as it should?

6. PHEV Newbie

PHEV Newbie Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I've not weighed in on the HV range issue because it's completely unimportant to me. It's far more important that the gasoline gauge is accurate, and it is. The Clarity's mpg in HV is very sensitive to speed, elevation, and weather conditions and the car's own HV range (even if no defects) calculation relies on your prior trips, which may not apply to your next tank full. During my last road trip, I was very pleased that the gas gauge is more accurate than any car I've ever owned (it's the most linear). I used that to calculate actual gas mileage and that helped me know what my range was going to be (if going up elevation, I knew it would be worse and if the roads were slower, I knew it would be better). Even a fixed HV algorithm won't allow you to program that in so it won't be as accurate as your own simple calculations.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I agree about the gas gauge being accurate and linear.

9. KentuckyKen

Even before the update, when in EV, the ICE would come on very rarely and briefly for what I assume to be the System Check. My ICE is so quiet that I only notice it’s happened by seeing the HV range decrease or by popping the hood and checking the hour meter I installed. With the car stopped I can just barely hear it.
    One the one and only HV trip I’ve taken which was after the update, I was so busy glancing at the power flow and listeneing for the ICE that I didn’t pay attention to the HV range changing. Sorry.

10. Carro con enchufe

Carro con enchufe Active Member

My HV range dropped after the ice came on post fix

11. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

It's supposed to be a $30k to $40k technology car, features as prominent as the range estimates should work correctly. If the number of HV (gas) bars is falling and the corresponding numeric HV (gas) range estimate does not fall at all while driving on gas, it sounds like something is still wrong.

Interesting note about a long upgrade drive ahead. For those on Nav (so not all models), it should be relatively simple for the experts to program in the known topology of the current Nav route. However, even without topology of the route factored in ahead of time, as the uphill drive progresses and more time is spent climbing, the estimates should still begin to fall accordingly.

Short of that, a flat ground estimate is fine for an initial estimate (at least an estimate more realistic than the previous nonsensical 500+ miles).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Ken7 likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Yup, that’s my feeling. It’s a bit disappointing after the alleged ‘fix’. It might be awhile before we drive on gas again, but when we do I’ll keep a close eye on it. If it’s still erratic, I’ll file a report with Honda.

14. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Is it possible you were getting better mpg so the range didn't drop? Maybe the fix includes not letting the range increase?

15. bear-boomer

bear-boomer New Member

I just filled up for the first time after the update. I was down about 1.68 gal. The HV range showed 297, which was about right. After fill up it still shows 297. Also the real gas gauge didn't go up at all. After about 3 or 4 miles the gauge finally showed full. It didn't do that before the update.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

KentuckyKen likes this.
  16. KentuckyKen

bear-boomer, thank you, the same thing happened to me on the first fill up since purchase which was also after the update. Pumped, got in car and gas gauge hadn’t moved. Thought, huh, pump must have cut off to soon. Tried to add more, but every time it immediately cut off like it was full. It took several miles before the gauge showed full.
    Never having added gas in the 4 months I’d had the car before the update, I can’t say if that’s the way it worked before the update.
    Has anyone seen this before their update or does it happen only after the update? Or only to bear and me?
    Thanks

17. sniwallof

sniwallof Active Member

There is probably a very long integration time (aggressive averaging) so that the gauge indication does fluctuate with fast changes, such as bumps or the like. I saw this before the fix.

Johnhaydev and KentuckyKen like this.
  18. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I don’t think so. During the stretch where the range wouldn’t budge, we did local, highway and even some uphill driving. Yet the HV range remained frozen.

I’d like to see a bunch of other owners who have had the fix, throw some gas miles on their car to see if mine is an isolated case or more common. I remember when I first reported the loony elevated HV range, pre-fix, there were hardly any reports other than mine. As time went on, nearly everyone was seeing the issue. So let’s see what happens over time.

Who knows, maybe ours will correct itself on the next go around, but I’m a bit skeptical.

19. KentuckyKen

Further update after checking my logs from that 500 mile round trip after the update.
    HV was 357 after update with tank full.
    Then it was 298 after 88 miles on interstate and 352 after filling up.
    Then at 377 after fill up after further 159 miles driven. Forgot to record before fill up.
    Stayed at 377 with a couple of days of EV driving.
    On the way back, after 164 miles of HV, it went down to 251 before fillup And after another 93 miles and a fillup at home it now is 323 and I’m all EV with it not changing.
    I got 49 mpg for the HV part of the trip so 323 m/7gal = 46 mpg so it looks like its adjusted OK after 500 miles of HV driving, but, as you can see, on the trip it wasn’t decreasing as fast as I was putting on the miles driven.
    Maybe it takes a while to integrate all the HV miles and fuel or else Honda didn’t quite get it right. Only time will tell and I’m not scheduled for any more HV for a while.

20. bear-boomer

bear-boomer New Member

I have driven about 70 miles on HV mode. The range was going down to begin with, it went down to 277. Then stopped going down. I went about 25 miles yesterday and it didn't go down at all. The main gas gauge has gone bad now too. I have gone about 70 miles and it is bouncing between full and one bar down. I'm beginning to wish I didn't get the update.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Inside EVs mobile app

21. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Bingo! That's exactly what I observed and reported. There are obviously still issues even after the update. It's better than pre-update, but still very weird. It's just really odd that Honda can't get this right.

22. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

Mine exactly happened like this. I believr, What happens that gas vapor does feed /block reading some time. After u drive, when gas is used, it correct itself later.

23. Atul Thakkar

Atul Thakkar Active Member

I have filled up several times and I noticed that this happened when you are more towards fuller gas of tank.