Tyre (or tire) choice

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by vader, Jul 22, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vader

vader Well-Known Member

My goodyears are shot, and I am going to replace them. The SE, at least in my hands, has more than enough range and for longer trips we also have a C40. This means I don't mind dropping range, well maybe a little range. I will probably be replacing the asymmetric 5s with a yokohama ad09 track day tyre. They are significantly better in the dry, not too bad in the wet and are better wearing than most track day tyres. If the little MINI is mainly a put a smile on your face car, why not go all in.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I also looked at the cup2, but the ad09 appears to be better in every review I have seen - especially in the wet. For those new to the forum, I live in Oz and we are currently enjoying a beautiful winters day with blue skies and 21C. I don't neet to worry about cold temps :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Summer: I stuck with a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 (or maybe a newer version of them?) my SE came with because they have great grip and low rolling resistance. People here say the Hankooks have soft sidewalls, so I wasn't interested in trying them.

Winter: I researched low rolling resistant snow tires and went with Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s, which are the best snow tires I've ever had. They have minimal effect on range, and I'll more than likely be sticking with the newer version when the time comes to replace them.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I like Yokohamas. My last classic mini had A510s. My R53 has V701s.
    The V701s have lower rolling resistance than the AD09s and still have great grip, wet and dry. You'll be astounded by the grip of the AD09s
    Maybe 15% range loss with the AD09s.

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I suggest going with another stock option, the Pirelli P7C2.
    And if you're anywhere near Ohio, I have a set to sell you. :cool:

6. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Thought I would give an update. So I pulled the trigger and got a set of AD09s. Man oh man what a defference. The goodyears were excellent tyres, but these yokos - next level. I would hope they would be seeing they are semi-slick track tyres. I didn't, however, expect such a difference. Body roll is basically negligible now, you can flatten the accelerator off the line even with the wheels turned, any and all torque steer has disappeared, and cornering is seriously next level. There is more sound (ie you can actually hear the tyres), but not in any way loud.

I have driven gokarts with less grip than the MINI and these AD09s. Stunning is the only word. Exactly what I hoped for. So the question is what about the range hit. I had been averaging 12.5kWh/100km (around 145miles per charge) ove 3 years. Initial reaction is abut 10% drop, however that could be because I am still iin the goldiloocks perid where I am driving a bit more (ok a lot more) aggresively than before. I was some 40% above EPA range, so dropping to 130miles is acceptable for a weekend fun car :)

SameGuy, MichaelC and ghost like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

Did you stick with a standard size? My autocross tyres are 215/45-16. Slightly better acceleration and lowers the car a little. My Falkens reduce range by around 25%. Very draggy. AD09s were not available in the US in a suitable size when I got them.
    The semi slick yokos are apparently pretty good in the wet, as long as they have decent tread. But beware of aquaplaning.

9. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Yep, stock 205/45/17 as per the Goodyear. The reason I went with them in the end was the wet performance compared to most other semi slicks.

pictsidhe likes this.