Type 2 charging cable extension leads

Discussion in 'General' started by 51m0n, Feb 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 51m0n

51m0n New Member

I'd be interested in the experience of others using Type-2 extension leads.

I just bought one for my Hyundai Kona Electric and it's incompatible. The problem is that connector on the extension lead isn't deep enough to allow the Huyndai cable to be inserted fully. See picture. Has anyone else had this problem?

[​IMG]

Simon

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would try another cable to see if the problem is the extension or the Hyundai cable.

Either one might be "off", but I'd assume it's the extension.

4. 51m0n

51m0n New Member

OK. I've done some more research and I'm going to answer my own question here in case it's of help to others.

Basically, you cannot (or should not) extend an existing charging cable - see legal blurb below. So the only option is to buy another cable of the required length and keep the shorter one as a spare.

Looking for EV Extension Cables?

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard is clear on the matter; “A cord extension set or second cable assembly shall not be used in addition to the cable assembly for the connection of the EV to EVSE.”. Therefore any EV extension cable will sit outside of the standards and may affect your vehicle warranty in the event of a claim.

You therefore have 2 options when looking to extend your cable:

Extending Standard 2 Plug Cables: Purchase a Type 1 or Type 2 cable for the full length you require and use your existing cable as a spare.

Extending Tethered Charge Point Cables: Purchase a Type 1 Tethered Cable or Type 2 Tethered Cable for the full length you require and replace your existing cable.

Source: https://evcables.co.uk/pages/ev-extension-cable

Esprit1st likes this.