TSB (Bulletins) and Recalls not necessary?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Olimpia, Jan 29, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

I've had my Clarity for just over a week. At the time of purchase, the service manager told me to bring the car in the next few days so they could take care of all the bulletins and recalls pending in the car and that they had to order parts for one of the recalls (something about the AC unit?).
    I just dropped the car this morning in the dealership and when the service manager ran my VIN number he was confused and said there are no bulletins and/or recalls that my Clarity needs at the moment.

I have a high-VIN 2018 Clarity (it's in the 22,000's, date of manufacture is 11/18)...do you guys think that these bulletins/recalls were already taken care during the manufacturing of the vehicle since it was a late 2018 model? Can someone with a high VIN Clarity confirm if they had to go through these bulletins? At any rate, the service manager said he was going to check and make sure the car has the latest updates and software version but then again, I'm not sure how much I can trust these guys after they failed to properly do the PDI when I purchased the car. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Most likely it has had the SBs applied at the factory (updated software was installed so they were not necessary). The one hardware for climate control was probably handled as well. As to whether they are necessary even for cars produced earlier than yours, I am still wrestling with that question. I purchased in July 2018 (May build) and several of the SBs apply, but the car generally performs so well I am having trouble with the idea of letting Honda mess with it.

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Remember that 18-097, the fix for the voltage variations disrupting charging, will not show up when the dealer enters your VIN. But if the dealer enters the SB number, it will indicate that it applies to all vehicles. The consensus here seems to be that there's no downside to getting that one done; no one has reported anything negative and a few folks have reported improvement.

5. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Well, easy to see if you have the high HV mileage. Once you use a bit of gas and fill up, you'll see a very high HV estimate (no more than 1000). If so, you didn't get those fixes applied, and chances are none of the other ones either.

The charging system problem will trigger with a Level 2 charger that has power fluctuations. Even if minor, the car will complain and stop charging and you'll end up with a check engine light for about 24 hours (it goes away then).

6. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

Yeah, I think the giveaway will be when I fill my next tank. At the rate I'm going it'll probably be another month before I put gas lol
    I think it's safe to assume that because the car is a late build 2018, they were already done during manufacturing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

my vin is in the 0177 range and build date is 8/18 and I never got any SB notification in the mail so contacted Honda customer service and their reply was my car did not need any SB because the SB are based on VIN. I never had the faulty HV range issue or charging issue using public chargers. Does anyone else have a lower vin number and received notification?

9. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

There are no service bulletin notifications to owners. The only way to know about service bulletins is to ask a dealer, or complain about a problem that is addressed by one. If you never had the faulty range reading or charging issue, your car likely has the updates.

10. weave

weave Active Member

I took my car in for its first service last week and I didn't even ask about bulletins since I hadn't been having any issues except for the range problem. When they bought up my car, four SBs showed up for it, including 18-097. They applied them all during my service.

11. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

Interesting. This is contrary to what others have reported relative to 18-097. Suggests that they have added it to the list that shows up when they query via VIN. That's good.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

Has anyone had problems with the parts for Clarity Campaign 18-089 not being available? Mine has been back ordered for too long.

14. rodeknyt

rodeknyt Active Member

You should keep asking the dealer (very couple weeks) if the part is in yet. We have a 2016 Pilot that had a recall for something with the transmission fluid/engine coolant that required a part that, of course, was on back order when the campaign started. They would let us know as soon as the part came in. Time went by, we forgot about it. A year later, when we took the car in for an oil change, we mentioned about the open work order for the transmission. They checked and, "Oh yeah. The part is in. We'll take care of that for you."

Johngalt6146 likes this.
  15. Claire Green

Claire Green Member

I could have sworn I read on this forum that owners were receiving SB notices by mail around the month of October last year that's why I contacted Honda customer care since I never got one. I have been pushing back my maintenance minder for an oil change by resetting tire rotation so when it calls for an oil change I'll take it to the dealer and hopefully they automatically run a check for updates just to verify that I have all updates on my car.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

A Canadian owner was notified of a recall via HondaLink.

17. Johngalt6146

Johngalt6146 Active Member

I never received any notices.
    All of my initial recall knowledge came from this Forum. When I finally called the dealer for my A0 appointment, they confirmed the list.