Trunk won’t close

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Jan 21, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

yesterday during a huge snowstorm my trunk won’t close.

I removed all ice around it. The latch is not closing.

I probably did something stupid though. I took a key and manually closed it. Now it won’t open the latch. Key fob, inside button do nothing

Ideas?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Sometimes it won't close if it senses a key fob inside. Could your second fob have been inside? Not sure why it won't open now.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

4. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

There is the pass-through to the trunk, accessible using the key hole behind the rear headrest on the driver side. That will get you into the trunk, and you could unlatch from there.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

5. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

No. Key fob not near it. I got it to where it’s open.

I notice the bar it clamps onto isn’t perfectly straight (in the middle).

I’ll take a pic soon. It’s 7degrees outside. I have a feeling it got bent a bit. I think I’ll tap it with a hammer

6. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Looks crooked

Attached Files:

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. You're braver than I. Could it be the lock on the lid is just not opening to allow the bar to enter the mechanism?

(edit to add, I Googled "trunk not latching" and got a ton of results. There could be something for you in some of the first articles there.)

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Definitely crookeder than ours. A big wrench might work better than a hammer.

upload_2019-1-21_12-25-23.png

StickWare likes this.
  10. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I think I got it closed. I tapped it a bit. It doesn’t close all the time but I does eventually

11. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Just guessing here...as much as that is chewed up you might have been trying to slam it shut repeatedly while the latch was simply closed? And human nature says if it doesn't close once, slam it harder? Usually just causes damage. If you just bump a trunk latch while the trunk is open, it can at times snap shut. if this happens you need to hit the open button, or turn key, or use screwdriver or something to re-open the latch if this occurs, BEFORE you try to slam it shut, to prevent damage.

That photo is the striker, not the latch. The latch is on the trunk lid itself. What does the latch itself look like? It is also likely bent/dented/shifted and binding.

So I can only suspect something you were removing/putting into trunk bumped the latch, closing the latch. Then you didn't realize it, slammed it repeatedly, bending the striker and likely damaging the latch. Now everything is binding up -- this will impact closing and opening and latching in all directions if things are bent.

Have any body shop look at it if you're not comfortable with it. It's all likely adjustable and easily repairable. There is nothing unique about a Clarity trunk latch and striker system...same as any other car. No dealer needed for a repair like this, just someone with basic auto body experience.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Hi. I got it. I never slammed it when the latch was closed.

Somehow it got bent a bit. I’m going to take pliers and straighten it better.

It sometimes takes three tries to get it to close now. Thanks.

craze1cars likes this.