Troubleshooting Level 3 Charging Failures

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by dlu, Feb 26, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. dlu

dlu New Member

A couple of days ago, our 2022 Niro EX EV was unable to charge at five different chargers: I tried both ports on an Electrify America charger (and the EA support tech rebooted the charger); two different EVgo chargers (I was unable to talk with their support techs, my calls kept getting dropped); and the Level 3 charger at the Kia dealer also failed to start a session. At the dealer the charging status lights on the dash started blinking which the manual translates as "Error while charging." I'm not sure if the lights did anything on my other attempts as they were in bright sunlight and I've come to expect the charger to be the problem...

The car was, fortunately, still able to charge on a Level 2 charger so I was able to make it home on my own power. The next day I went to the local EA charger and was able to start a session.

Needless to say I'd like to get the bottom of this and understand what went wrong. So, two questions:
    1. Are there things that I could have checked at the time that would have pointed to the source of the problem or maybe even fixed? One thing that I'm wondering about is whether dampness in the CCS connector might cause a fault.
    2. Does the car do any kind of logging that would make it possible to see what the "Error while charging was" or even just to demonstrate to the dealer that there was an actual failure to initiate a charging session.

2. To remove this ad click here.