Trickle charger problem?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KonaTom, Aug 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KonaTom

KonaTom Well-Known Member

My wife and I both have Kona EVs. We almost exclusively charge with the included trickle charger. I usually use my charger for both cars, but yesterday while charging my wifes car, it stopped charging after about 50 km range added, so I unplugged it and replugged it, and it quit after about 50 km range added again. So then I used her charger cable and it charged correctly. Used the same outlet plug for both. Could there be problem with my charger, and has anyone else had a problem?

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sounds like the EVSE (charger itself). fortunately it is listed as being covered for 96 months or 160,000 km;)
    https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/owners-section/warranty-owners?year=2019&model=Kona+EV&trim=KE1SEFEME400

4. Yes, noting that adding 50 km takes many hours and assuming no other differentiating factors it does sound like a problem with the EVSE. You hadn't mentioned if it works OK on your Kona?

5. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

That was my question too.

6. KonaTom mentions "used the same outlet plug for both", kind of vague but assuming he tried her EVSE on both his and wife's Kona EVs.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KonaTom

I'm back. Yes, I forgot to mention that the charger worked ok on my car the last time I charged it, but the charge is not down enough to test it again right now. I will test it on my car again in the next day or two. I did see on facebook that there has been some issues with the charger. It has always worked just fine for both cars before.

9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yes, that is one thing about such a long range, it can take a while before the charge is down enough to test.....lol

10. KonaTom

Just tested on my car and it quit when the car was about 78%, and it is set to charge to 100% on AC, so I guess there is a problem with the charge cable. I will check with dealer tomorrow.

11. Just to be sure, make sure the voltage at the receptacle is at or near 120 V (with a meter), while supplying a load comparable to the EVSE (1200 W) portable heater will do, as that will probably be the first question the dealer may ask you. Also check the cord cap end of the EVSE does not show any signs of overheating due to a possible loose receptacle connection.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

make sure the plug isn't getting too hot -not sure about the US, but UK ones have a temp sensor in the plug to cut off if it overheats

14. Given the time period involved that seems like a high probability. My AU/NZ evse from Ratio (8 amps at 230VAC) does not have this sensor.

15. KonaTom

As I mentioned, I tried using my wife's trickle charger and it worked, using the same wall outlet, on both cars, mine failed on both.

16. Right, so the comment still applies if the fault is in the EVSE.