Toyota Clean Assist Program

Discussion in 'General' started by bezakjon, Sep 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

If my EV manufacturer offered this program, I would choose to ____________

Poll closed Sep 22, 2021.
  1. opt in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. opt out

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. bezakjon

bezakjon New Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'll buy a solar roof before paying a higher rate for 'green' electrons.

Bob Wilson

4. I have solar and charge at home. That is my preference.

John Lumsden likes this.
  5. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

If I read this correctly, all Toyota is asking is permission to monitor how much electricity you are using to charge the car. So if you don't mind them monitoring you and want to support renewable energy then you opt-in. As far as I can tell, there is no cost to the car owner.

In return, they go out and buy California RECs . From what I can tell, South California Edison will pay about 1.5 cents per kWh for them.

This simply gives Toyota some green washing bragging rights to advertise.

If you don't want them to monitor your electricity usage or don't support green washing, then you opt-out.

I guess if you opt-in, it's a bit like dancing with the devil, since Toyota has not exactly been on the vanguard of the EV revolution. However, since you already started the dance, maybe you're OK with it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    turtleturtle likes this.
  6. marshall

It's there a California regulation that requires Toyota to use a certain amount of renewable energy? If so, then they are not doing this out of the goodness of their heart, and this is all about greenwashing.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bezakjon

bezakjon New Member

I'm not sure where the burden falls: the EV owner (in the form of taxes?), the utility company supplying the energy, or the manufactuerer.

9. marshall

OK, the RPS (renewable portfolio standard) mandate does not affect Toyota and applies to utilities.

So if you don't mind monitoring and want to support renewable energy, you opt-in to support Toyota's program of buying RECs.

10. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

It's the data collection that makes me opt out. I will not set up an online account to operate a car. It is ridiculous. I don't have to do that with my current car.

electriceddy likes this.