Top 10 Charging/battery related things a good EV should do

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark W, Apr 29, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Hi all,

I watch Kyle Conner's videos, and he always says three things good EVs should have are Route Planning, Battery Preconditioning, and Plug and Charge. I recently bought a Toyota bz4x because I got a crazy good lease deal, knowing the bz4X shortcomings with range and charging speed. What surprised me though are all the other related EV things that the bz4X just doesn't have. I came up with my top 10 things an EV should have to help drivers with EV things. What did I miss? What things are important to you? Thanks.

1. On the outside of the car, show some indication of charge level when car is charging

2. Show charge level of car inside the car without having to turn on the car.

3. While driving show current real time mi/kwh

4. Show detailed information of past trips including mi/kwh

5. Show battery %, charging rate, and estimate to completion when charging

6. Route planning should show reasonable charging stops needed

7. Car needs the ability to pre-condition the battery to increase charging speed

8. Effective Charging curve – fast charging for short time or flatter curve

9. Plug and Charge

10. A helpful App – Current charge, lock, unlock, remote start, locate vehicle, reliable, free

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    For your EV, could you please tell me which of the items above it does? The bz4x only partially does #5, and #10. The app actually seems pretty good so far.

4. 2021 Ford Mustang Mach E - #1(one light per 20%), #3, #4, #6 (depends on definition of reasonable) , #7, #9, #10
    2017 Smart fortwo ED (L2 local driving only) - #2 (only when charging), #3, #5
    2017 Ford Focus Electric (former EV which is still in the family) - #1 (one light per 25%), #5

Mark W likes this.
  5. The ford F150 Lighting covers these 10 items in some manner either trough the display or the app. Enough so that I am ok with he information as provided.

Mark W likes this.
  6. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

My Hyundai Kona definitely does 1, 3 and 5. Most of the others don't seem important to me, as I almost always charge at home and do it manually, and being in Hawaii I don't do road trips. ;)

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

1. On the outside of the car, show some indication of charge level when car is charging (Tesla App)
    2. Show charge level of car inside the car without having to turn on the car. (Tesla App)
    3. While driving show current real time mi/kwh (Console trip meters)
    4. Show detailed information of past trips including mi/kwh (Console trip meters)
    5. Show battery %, charging rate, and estimate to completion when charging (Tesla App and Console)
    6. Route planning should show reasonable charging stops needed (Navigation and Tesla App)
    7. Car needs the ability to pre-condition the battery to increase charging speed (Tesla App and Navigation)
    8. Effective Charging curve – fast charging for short time or flatter curve (Tesla curve triangular)
    9. Plug and Charge (Tesla)
    10. A helpful App – Current charge, lock, unlock, remote start, locate vehicle, reliable, free (Tesla App)

Bob Wilson

Mark W likes this.
  9. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Thanks Bruce, what year Kona do you have? I have a friend that just got a '24 Kona, and they added 4,7, and 10.

I always thought that given the lack of need to road trip in Hawaii, that everyone should have EVs! But I looked up the price of electricity, and it's over 40 cents/kwh? Is solar power proliferating there?

10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

My Kona is 2020, the original version. No doubt the new one has plenty of updates.

As for electricity costs in Hawaii, I'm spending about the same as with Pacific Gas and Electric in San Francisco, even though I have more electric appliances here (stove, clothes dryer). Hawaiian Electric offers a time-of-use plan that's actually dirt cheap from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., so that's when I charge (note that they have slightly different plans on the different islands due to different power mixes and costs). Gas here in Hilo is about $4.80 a gallon right now.

Mark W and bwilson4web like this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Active Member

CT
    Can any ID.4 or Ioniq 5 owners help fill in this data? Or other owners correct anything I have wrong? Thanks
    upload_2024-5-9_9-15-40.png

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

You might consider transporting the array as sometimes a longer table is more readable than a wider one. Also see if the spreadsheet might fit in an upload able zip or container file so we can see it on our own screens.

Bob Wilson