Took delivery on RWD - 77kWh Ioniq 5

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Jim1960, May 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

We just got our Ioniq5 RWD (for the alleged 303 mi. range). It's really a BIG car after my now-repurchased Bolt.
    In the first long highway drive, which included dark and rain, it looks like I can count on about 275 miles. In daytime, dry, might nearly reach the advertised distance. BUT, unlike most of the YouTube "tests" out there, I drive at the speed limit, not at 70 mph. The difference of battery use between 66 and 70 for my Honda Clarity is HUGE. I will do a test of the Ioniq5 soon, and report what I get.
    This is "teal" color.

Attached Files:

milliemc and Bommai like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course, in your Clarity you could afford to ignore the Guess-O-Meter and test the actual EV range because you had the ICE back-up after you exhausted the battery. Was your 275-mile range estimate based on your I5's GOM? BEV GOMs are pessimistic specifically to prevent drivers from becoming stranded so perhaps your I5 can actually go 303 miles.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  4. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 New Member

How is the acceleration with the RWD? All the videos I have found have been AWD. I am more interested in the RWD for range, but curious how much real world power you lose.

milliemc likes this.
  5. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

I don't know what a GOM is, sorry. My estimate was based on the battery usage/battery remaining readout on the main screen.

6. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

It accelerates way better than any ICE vehicle I've driven. I don't know how to answer the question, really. I'm not a 0-60 guy. It has good pep, similar to the much lighter Bolt. But no way for me to compare with AWD.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Oh. I figured out what the GOM is when I re-read your post.

9. Did you buy, or lease?

10. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Bought.

11. If it's not too forward, may I ask what it cost?

The local Hyundai dealers want $5000 over MSRP + inflated delivery fees.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Congratulation on the new car, great color...same color as mine :) I don't think you will have any problem getting 275+ miles. I was able to get 260 miles of actual range on a recent highway trip with my AWD Ionic 5 model with bigger wheels.

14. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Hey, Hyundai Kona owner here, just popping in out of curiosity. I'm interested to see how the Ioniq5 real world range turns out. The Kona EV, as you may know, pretty consistently outperforms the official EPA range of 258 miles unless you drive like an absolute maniac (I typically get 300+). I wonder if the pattern will hold for the Ioniq5.

Kailani likes this.
  15. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Still early days , but range looks like it will be close. Around town , getting 4.7-4.9 m/kWh. 77 kWh battery = 369 miles.

16. Jim, your I5 range is quite similar to my EV6. You don't say where you are but if you're further south than I am (Maine) you'll be driving in temperatures that the battery will appreciate. On Monday I drove a long loop of around 190 miles from coastal Maine up to the foot of Mt. Washington in New Hampshire and back, about a 4.5 hour drive. The EV6 did well at 4.4 m/kWh, cruising generally at 55. To start, I had charged to 100 percent and the GOM read 330 miles. Once back home, I still had 48 percent battery and around 150 GOM miles remaining. Averaging 4.4 m/kWh exceeds Kia's reported average for the EV6 of 3.5-3.6 m/kWh (stated range of 276 miles divided by 77.4 kWh battery capacity.) Now we wait for winter. ;-)

17. Jim1960

Jim1960 Member

Good to know. I'm in CT. Around town, I am still averaging 4.9-5.0 m/kWh. Haven't done the long trip, yet.

Bill Carter likes this.
  18. Bommai

Bommai New Member

The best I get around town is 4.2-4.4 miles per kWh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Hey Bruce
    In the recent warm weather(24C) I am finding I am getting pretty much the same range or better as my previous Kona EV and my current AWD I5. Yesterday I was getting 4.8 miles/kW(364 actual range) on urban cycle with no AC, and 3.6 miles/kW (275 miles) highway (65 mph) AC on. Winter will of course be worse.

Bruce M. likes this.
  20. michael-in-raleigh

michael-in-raleigh New Member

you'll love it, got the same I5, but in white... also a 2019 Clarity!

our i5 is 5 months and a few days old... bought it 48 hours before Putin's Ukraine folly

which means i paid msrp... i swear i had no advance notice, comrade

Clarity's lane-keeping is superior on city streets, isn't it

as is the ridiculously poor regen settings config!
    have you nearly rear-ended somebody yet, by pulling on the regen paddle with cruise still on?
    something the Clarity handles perfectly, every time
    the Clarity could def use the I5's regen levels though

but please Hyundai, auto-disconnect the cruise when it even look like we're going to pull that left paddle, due to traffic conditions!

also, general ride comfort... drives like a freaking go-cart, which is a literal pia after you've gotten over the thrill of driving a go-cart
    anybody know anything about aftermkt shocks for this thing? it makes my my beer all foamy! lol

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  21. BCBeaver

BCBeaver New Member

Picked up my I5 RWD long range today. Had 77% charge from the dealer (they wanted to fully charge it but I was impatient). I immediately drove it 285km over 2 (one was small) mountain passes like I was being chased. Arrived at my destination with 8% left. Single lane BC mountain highways.

Mostly in eco using I pedal but putting into sport and smashing the throttle to pass regularly. I figure with a full charge and my wife driving it should get 450+km on a charge.

WTF is with the speedo location, nicely hidden under my left hand.

electriceddy likes this.
  22. BCBeaver

BCBeaver New Member

Bought one yesterday. Ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 RWD long range in January. Got a call on Monday telling me it might show up this week but more likely next week. I got a call yesterday telling me it was just being unloaded, how would pick up on Monday work? I told him same day was better because I was going for a 270km drive and it would be better in a new car instead of a Tacoma. Dealer called back telling me I could be prepped by 4 today but might not have a full charge. I picked it up with 77% charge and thought, fck it, let's see what happens. I started driving pretty mellow thinking I should conserve juice to make my destination, but once on the twisty road outta Kelowna I couldn't contain my heavy foot. By my guesstimate and info on the dash I figured I'd make it with 50 km to spare, I arrived with 20km to spare.

First impressions. Smoked some dude in a vw gti off the lights in vernon, that was fun. On bumpy, choppy twisty 90kph highway at 130kph it was a little out of it's league but not so bad that I was scaring my wife (at least 20kph faster than I typically drive my Tacoma through sections). My dog doesn't like it because when I pinned it to pass he kept falling over. Passing is great, no screaming motor just, pow, and you're stuck to the seat.

I went over 2 passes and got 285km out of 69% charge (8% left on arrival) while driving it like I was being chased, it'll do what I need it to. My biggest gripe is that the speedo is off to the left behind my left hand, not dead center where it belongs.

So after 285km I give it a big grin. It's Lucid blue pearl.

milliemc likes this.
  23. Careful, deer and other wildlife have a bad habit abruptly putting an end to that. Hit 2 so far...not worth it even at proper speed limit or less:oops:
    Look forward to picture of your new car