Too soon

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Antonio Salazar, Feb 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Antonio Salazar

Antonio Salazar New Member

I understand the desire to jump in the electric vehicle game and not be left behind in the new "woke" world but to destroy the iconic mustang brand with this sedan is almost criminal. To brag about this model being "almost" as good as the base 4 cylinder gas model is laughable. Astetically it's hideous and has minimal mustang appearance. I own 2 classic mustangs and have owned 3 other mustangs in my adult life. I compare this mistake to the cobra II models of the 70's, mustangs in name only. I have no new desire to own any of these EV models in their present form, good luck.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hi there and welcome to InsideEVs Forum.
    I may be biased, since I am (and most of us here are) super pro-EV, but I thought using the Mustang name was a good idea. For one, it got people talking about the car. Sure, a lot of it is negative, but Ford needed something big to get the attention it needed. I do understand why lots of folks are unhappy about it.

I'm not sure I'd compare Mach-E with the base 4-cyl Mustang. The performance variant is quicker than every other Mustang, except the GT500. But, to be honest, I really wouldn't compare the Mach-E to any traditional Mustang. It does have some of the characteristics -- some styling cues here and there -- and it does have a rear bias in the all-wheel-drive version, but personally, I just note that they stuck the Mustang name to it and move on. I think it's better just to judge it on its own terms, rather than what name it's been given.

It's a mid-sized electric crossover with an emphasis on sportiness.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Yup, it has no relation to the ICE Mustangs, and I think it is kind of ridiculous that it's named after the original Mustang.....but the name means little to me. What's important is the vehicle itself, and no vehicle is or was so special that re-using the name is blasphemous.

Still it's not too early for electric vehicles - and the statements by GM and the US Government make that clear.

Domenick likes this.
  5. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

Using the Mustang name is a very strong turn off for me as well.

But I’m actually on this forum to learn about this vehicle. We are thinking getting it for my wife as her second car if it does well. It will be a lease though and not a purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  6. I like the Mustang name and the design and the performance of the Mach E. My back ground is in engineering though I am now retired from that profession. I have a long history with internal combustion performance engines. I have built race engines from old 428s, to Clevelands and small blocks. When I raced Porches I heard the same complaints when Porsche came out with the Cayenne SUV. Its not a Porsche it has five doors Nobody complain about them now and I don't think any one will be complaining about the Mustang name on the Mach E in a few years. If they succeed no one will care. If they don't they will be remembered along with the Edsel and the Mustang II

By the way nice to have you on the forum. Nice Post .

Domenick and electriceddy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Personally I think they did an awesome job bringing this to market and a great strategy to share the the popular brand name with it's fossil burning counterpart. One can see this successful strategy being done with other manufactures BEVs as well.
    Cooper SE
    GMC Hummer EV
    Cadillac Lyriq
    Ford F150 Electric
    Ford E-Transit
    Probably missed a few more.
    BTW, (not to be OT) GMC had worked on more than one electric besides the EV1... anybody recall the Electrovair?
    https://www.carscoops.com/2020/07/gms-electrovair-is-the-precursor-to-the-companys-electric-future/
    Maybe we will see one of these in the future;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    mho and Fastnf like this.
  9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

Ford hit it out the park with the Mach-E. I love the design of the vehicle. It has it's own styling cues not trying to take too much from the Mustang other than the ponies everywhere.

Two years ago Ford didn't have much appealing to me when I needed a new vehicle so I l did a 4 year lease. Now 2023 can't come soon enough.