Tires

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Aug 24, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Question…..I was in my BMW X3 when I was notified that tire pressure was not right (I was on I75 and lucked out that there was a rest stop that I was able to turn into). ….turns out I had a flat tire. Worked out okay since I have runflats on the car since no spare tire and I was able to drive 15 miles to a place to help me. Husband just asked if our 2023 Mini SE has runflat and they don’t….so if we get a flat tire on the road, what do we do (besides swear!!! ) Thx

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. in the trunk/boot you will find an inflator and a can of sealer. Most here shy away from runflats as it makes for a harsher ride, and the SE is not exactly "lexus" smooth to begin with.

4. and I believe the whole process on how to use it is in the manual/owner's guide for the car...

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This week marks the 3rd anniversary of our wonderful MINI's delivery. Never had a flat. Because our SE excursions are almost exclusively local I have this plan:
    1. Call my wife to pick me up in our other car and take me home
    2. Pack up my 12-Volt electric/hydraulic jack, a lug-bolt wrench, and one of our MINI's alternate-season tires
    3. Return to the MINI and replace the flat tire
    4. Drop off the flat tire at the tire store on the way home
    Some people carry tire plugs to fix non-sidewall tire punctures. I have never used a tire plug, so I don't carry them. I'd use the sealer only as a last resort because it makes a mess inside the tire and then you have to buy a new can of sealer.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

When I got new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 summer tires this year they inadvertently installed the runflat version on my SE. They worked fine but were too noisy for the quiet SE and it did impact the range somewhat. I did switch back to the non-runflat version after a week or so, relying on the sealant kit for a catastrophic flat.

I did have a sidewall puncture in one of my winter tires, and it was a slow enough leak that I drove on it for half a winter (couldn't get a replacement) while topping off the air pressure every few days.

I have runflats on my ICE MINI Clubman S (and all my previous MINIs), which I prefer but for the very quiet SE I don't think they're the right solution (for me). My opinion is if you feel more comfortable with runflats by all means get them, they work well on the SE.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.