Tire wear on EVs

Discussion in 'General' started by Daniel Kutcher, Jun 2, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Daniel Kutcher

Daniel Kutcher New Member

So I’ve heard that tires wear out more quickly on our lovely EVs because of the added weight from the batteries.

Are tires the biggest expense over time for EVs? I suppose it depends.

Any stories or experience with this y’all?

I just looked into the price of tires for our new C40 and…ouch. $300-400 apiece.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Tires can be an initial expense as our Tesla OEM tires were rated at 30,000 miles and barely reached 25,000. So I replaced them with Bridgestone ECOPIA rated at 60,000 miles and well past 40,000 miles with plenty of tread remaining. I also replaced the rims with lighter weight ones.

BTW, my 2019 Tesla Model 3 Std Rng Plus weighed at a truck stop at 3,800 lbs with driver, three dogs and tool box. Our 2014 BMW i3-REx is 2,900 lbs. The EPA Test Car Database has more accurate vehicle weights and tire management is not that hard.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. Daniel Kutcher

Daniel Kutcher New Member

To make matters worse the wheels are staggered AND the OEM tires are directional. So no tire rotation, and faster tire wear. Blaaaaaaa

5. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Imagine having to fork out for a complete winter tire, TPMS, and wheel set and then finding space to store the tires for each season.

6. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The cost of winter tires is greatly exaggerated. Yes, the initial cost is high but the tires only get half as many miles per year so they last twice as long. The total cost is very minimal.

As for storage space, some people have plenty of room in their garage and others may have to rent a storage unit so YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.