Tire Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by zbartrout, Mar 17, 2018.

1. zbartrout

zbartrout New Member

We had our first (and hopefully last) flat on our Clarity PHEV last month. My wife had the car and used the tire repair kit (pump and sealant) to temporarily repair the damaged tire.
    The dealer told me that I needed to order an entirely new kit even though it appeared to me that just the sealant cartridge could be replaced. After some research I ordered the Slime 10179 refill kit from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073...F8&qid=1521277634&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65
    While looking almost identical, the knob and valve are slightly different shape. Easy fix was just to swap those parts with the ones on the used component and now it’s good as new. Highly recommend this solution. I actually think the OEM is a Honda branded Slime unit. Chemistry and test of parts seem identical.

Hobbesgsr, KentuckyKen and prestoOne like this.
  2. bruinjacket

bruinjacket New Member

Did you have to fully replace the tire and TPMS?

prestoOne likes this.
  3. K8QM

K8QM Active Member

I did notice that the Honda video says you only need the cartridge so you made the correct call.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  4. Hobbesgsr

Hobbesgsr Active Member

The Clarity uses Honda Indirect TPMS which leverages the ABS wheel sensors to calculate the rotational difference between all 4 wheels to calculate if one tire has a different pressure than the rest. It doesn’t actually measure tire pressure and if all 4 tires are evenly under or over pressured it will not alert you.

Domenick, KentuckyKen and bruinjacket like this.
  5. bruinjacket

bruinjacket New Member

Thanks for the info! In that case you just take it to any tire shop after using the repair kit?

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. This should save all of us $. Wish this forum had stickies for posts as valuable as this one.

7. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The indirect TPMS would be quite useless if it can't truly monitor the tire pressure in the tires.

8. zbartrout

zbartrout New Member

Yes. Not sure what was hit, but we had severe sidewall damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

I think I would just get run-flats. You will lose some mileage but I think that would be better than filling the tire with sealant and all.