Tire protection Plan on anew Kona electric

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by GPM432, Jan 19, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

So My dealer is telling me I need a $300.00 tire and wheel protection plan . It's mandatory thru them . Has anyone else been told this is mandatory. To me it's up to me to decide.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I bought my 2024 Kona SEL in California two weeks ago and while the dealer did try to sell me a maintenance package, it was completely optional. No mention of any mandatory tire and wheel protection. You may want to try another dealer.

4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Well I have made the deal a long time ago. So my option is to pay the extra $300.00 I'm getting a decent deal $23,000.00 all in with my 2019 Kona. The problem is the tire protection that my dealer insist I get. I tried to get it into his thick head that the TP is just like saying you must have Paint protection That's an option not mandatory.

So do I dare scrap the deal over $300. I still want the car. or do I try to bluff them..

I have bought a few cars in my lifetime and their favorite excuse is they never made any money on the sale .

I have never seen a poor dealership owner in my time. I'm ranting now When I heard tire protection I laughed at the manager.
    What the hell is that. Any advice would be appreciated

5. Contract Law 101. You mention you made the deal a long time ago. If it’s in writing without the extra charge that’s what’s binding, and hold them to that.
    If it’s a verbal “deal”, it’s also legally binding but good luck enforcing it when they relate a different version of the deal.

6. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

It was all verbal which is fine because they go off the build price on the Hyundai website. It's only $300 but their is NO rationale for me to choose Tire protection unless I wanted it. So if I get a side wall flat I will have to pay for it myself. I have never had one .

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Paying $300 for insurance on both your wheels and tires is better than paying much more for the sculldugerous "market adjustments" dealers larded on back when EVs were so hot.

How much damage is required to trigger the insurance? How long does the coverage last? How many times can you use it? Is there a maximum amount of compensation available?

I keep the original wheels/tires that came with my MINI EV in the basement because I'm so paranoid about curbing the painted yellow stripe around the circumference of the rims. Fixing them would probably cost more than $300. I mount them only for Drive Electric Week events and drive on used rims from eBay the other 364 days.

upload_2024-1-20_18-34-45.png