Tire Pressure Readout Is Whacked

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Tommm, Jan 24, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

The Tire monitor is about 4 lbs lower than what Costco's pump says I have. Also about 4.5 lower than my two Longacre tire gages.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone able to figure out how to get an accurate reading?

Should I accept the fact, and add 5 lbs to whatever it says on the dash?

Thanks

Buzzzzkil likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Mine read 0.5-1.0 psi lower than my various pretty-decent gauges. I'd honestly trust my gauges more than TPMS, and rely on the system to report imbalances or a flat.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've found my TPMS is within 1-2 psi of actual pressure, using an accurate handheld gauge.

5. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

My old longacre gage has a lot of time at the track. Figuring it may be out of whack after 15 years I treated myself to the new, bigger one. Both read the same, and are within a pound of the Costco pump.

I guess my car is just whacked. Maybe at the next cooper & coffee at the dealer I will ask service to figure it out under warranty.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Have you tried resetting the TPMS recently? Maybe it just got set to a weird state.

SameGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Oh heck yeah I'd trust a Lonnie over the TPMS units.

9. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

A few times.

10. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

We have two SEs(22/23)in the household and their tpms displays both read about 2psi lower than other gauges, air compressor machines I have used.

SameGuy likes this.
  11. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

Ours reports a few pounds lower than every gauge I own, I just add 2 more to make sure the warning doesn’t trigger. Doesn’t seem to affect tire wear…

SameGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

We had some sub-20 degree temps in early January and our MINI showed the tires all to be lower than its alert threshold. I inflated them to the door-sticker values which only took about 2-3 lbs per tire. The display is 2-3 lbs lower than reality for us, too.

rob