Tire goop vs tire repair

Discussion in 'General' started by Ray B, Feb 27, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Over the past 20 years I've had a few flat tires caused by running over a nail or screw, and the tires were able to be repaired in 5 minutes at just about any local garage using a plug. Those repairs have been trouble free for years and many thousands of miles.

The first time I had it done, I asked the tire shop if I should keep some spray goop tire repair in the car to handle such repairs on the spot, and he said that if that goop is used it makes the tire plug repair he was doing impossible. That was ~ 20 years ago, so the situation (and chemicals) may have changed. But I wonder if the tire goop solution for a flat tire may make a better tire repair using a plug kit impossible.

Any thoughts?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

A plug is not a proper repair anyway, so what’s the difference? If a tire is repairable you should dismount it, clean/prep/rough up the inside surface at the hole, apply a patch with proper adhesive, and remount it. This is the only proper and safe way to repair a highway use tire. Plugs are frequently used I agree. Often times they hold. Sometimes they don’t.

No matter what goop is in the tire, it can be easily removed and cleaned up when the tire is dismounted, so I see this as a non issue.

Those who are so worried about the provided goop can not being adequate, can just buy a $5 plug kit from Walmart and read the package to learn how to use it. Plug your own tire roadside, then you have a temp repair to get you to a tire store where they can remove the plug and do a proper patch.

Or buy a spare and give up your trunk.

Me? In the unlikely event I’m stranded by a flat tire I’ll try the goop. It if fails I’ll call a tow truck. I save my plug kit for my lawn mower tires. Life is sometimes inconvenient and if a flat tire causing the need for a tow is the worst if my inconveniences, I’m living a fantastic life.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    MPower likes this.
  4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I never fail to learn new stuff on this forum. Thanks to all.
    I had no idea that an external plug was not a proper permanent repair without dismounting the tire and applying a patch from the inside. I will remember that for the future and take my tire to the shop if I have to use my $4 plug kit to get me home.
    In the past, I’ve had mechanics just plug it and send me in my merry way but I guess I was just living on borrowed time.

5. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I've used plugs pretty extensively over the years (just cause they are easy). If they fail, then likely the tire just goes flat again (and if you have plugs in the trunk, you can try it again as a temporary fix). If plugs are installed correctly (with a good deal of the plug on the inside and trimmed flush with the surface and on the interior of the tire, not near the edge) then I think they are relatively high percentage fixes. True, the patch or the mushroom plug/patch combo is the proper solution. But I am pretty cheap, like to do my own work, and breaking down tires to install a patch is a pain to do in the basement (but I have done it a couple of times to replace TPMS sensors).

Vic and ClarityDoc like this.
  6. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Hard to argue against plugs - they're quick, cheap, effective (like any fix, no doubt they need to be done properly - and not near the sidewall - but I've had it done by experienced people). In decades of driving not one has failed on me. Am curious about whether the goop is really a problem, but I've seen nothing compelling me to avoid a plug (and leave it in place).

Keith Smith likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

Im in the school of using the plug as a temporary repair and avoiding the the fix a flat sealant if possible. This is because you must clean the resonator on the rim after use of tire sealant. Alot of the standards in any industry are developed to manage liabilities and increase profits. So the tire companies reccomend the patch because it is a little higher percentage of success than a plug and forces you to bring your car into the shop. In the event of a plug failure they could be liable for any incidental consequences. Plugs have also developed and I've had discount tire plug a tire with lots of tread in it that sams club said must be changed. This avoided having a new tire in one side and a older tire on the other side.

9. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

I usually carry plugs with me. The one and only time that I had a problem was when I failed to trim the excess hanging out of the tire -- the tackiness of the plug grabbed the pavement and pulled itself back out. Inserted new plug, trimmed even with tire tread, and went on my merry way. Aside from this one incident, I've never had an issue with plugs.

I initially purchased a plug kit (rasp, inserter, and 6 plugs.) Later I purchased 25 additional plugs. I still have about 12 plugs remaining. This is from about 20 years ago. Plugged two tires on my wife's Pilot on one vacation trip a few years back. 50,000 miles later we replaced the tires. No issue with the plugs.

We have different opinions about this (along with oil changes, filters, how to fill the gas tank, etc.) so I can simply report what has worked for me. :)

Keith Smith and KentuckyKen like this.
  10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

KentuckyKen likes this.
  11. Dante

Dante Member

I've used plugs all my life in small and large cars and trucks - and not just to get to the tire shop, but for as long as that tire or vehicle was around - I can attest they work and work very well. The key factors IMO are:

1. Plugs have to be fresh and soft - not some dry, rigid ones that have been baking in the trunk for years.
    2. Having "the Kit" is not enough. You need to have bubbles (a small bottle of bubble juice for kids works wanders) or in a jam, a dab of spit (LOL), a flat screwdriver (to pry out the intruding nail, screw etc, often lodged between the treads) and a solid pair of needle nose pliers to pull that item out as often head of screw or nail is worn out from the driving. I should add some kind of tire chocks too...
    3. Have a portable (cig lighter pluggable) compressor. By the time you realize the flat, you jack (do Claritys even have jacks?), you identify the spot, take out, file it, and plug it properly, that tire is fully flat, so you need to put some air to get you to a proper compressor station.
    4. I stand by the old wisdom passed to me - never plug anything outside of the tread area.

Keith Smith and KentuckyKen like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Jimmy Truong

Jimmy Truong Member

Tesla tires are quite good. I plugged it for a few thousands of miles now and it’s still holding great. I drive on freeway every day around 70-80 miles. I haven’t tried to drive 200+ miles on 1 trip yet, but will try soon. Will see. My Tesla’s tire repair kit is with me on the road all the time.

JT

14. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

try not to use goop tire shops hate it ..They will charge you more for the tire repair..

Keith Smith likes this.
  15. Richard_arch74

Richard_arch74 Active Member

I picked up 3 nails (from a coil nailer) on a jobsite yesterday. The tire pressure light came on so I stopped to take a look and saw the 3 nails. I immediately drove to the chevy dealership a couple of miles away. They were able to plug it. Im glad I didn't use the "goop". They were not familiar with the wheel resonators so I cautioned them to be careful with the rim. Not sure I would leave it to them to clean the resonators (not having to do with exhaust) since they didn't know what they were.

Only time will tell if the plugs will be a permanent fix. I have had 100% success with previously done plugs. Maybe because the nails were pretty close to each other it won't be a permanent fix, we'll see.

As a side note: as soon as I pulled in the garage a couple of the service guys did double takes. They asked me "what kind of car is that?" So it gave me the opportunity to show off the car. They were impressed. And they did the work for free!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Inside EVs mobile app

16. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Wow. The Clarity gets more loving from Chevy than most Honda dealers!
    Why does that not surprise me?

17. neal adkins

Tire shops vary on what they deem proper and safe. Sam's club ordered a new tire for me about 6 weeks ago under warranty (still hasn't come in) and refused to patch my slowly leaking tire because it would be too close to another patch on the tire. So i removed the screw and installed a screw in plug....bought on temu. About 12 plugs. Tire is still holding air perfectly...

Attached Files:

Keith Smith, electriceddy and R P like this.
  18. Looks like a "Zip it" for tires.
    First time I have seen one, appears to be easy to install. Happy to hear they actually work.

19. neal adkins

That's why i posted a photo because i had never seen one before either. I did file the hole a little before installing and use some adhesive. Then just screw the plug in.

insightman and electriceddy like this.
  20. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Active Member

I call BS. Plugs work just fine. Vulcanizing rubber cement bonds fine to tires. Modern radial tires have a soft-seal layer within the belts to prevent rapid expulsion of air. Depending on the size/nature of the puncture, you can often get by just re-filling a modern tire, though if the hole is too large it may need periodic refill. I keep a plug kit in the back of my car. It has saved me on more than one occasion. The goo can clog up your valve stem, but if it's the difference in getting to a repair shop and calling a tow truck it's fine. You can drive a properly plugged tire until the tread wears out. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell tires. I used to be a delivery driver. I was behind a work truck that spilled a box of roofing nails in front of me, it "nailed" both left tires. 11 plugs in one 5 in the other, the tires were practically brand new, and I drove the tread bare on both.

Even on a sidewall puncture, a plug is the best way to limp to a tire shop, unless its a slash. When a ran over the nails, a couple of the punctures were a little close to the edge, a tire shop would not have plugged them, but I was mostly driving the vehicle in residential areas, never over about 50, and not making a lot of high speed turns, but you should replace any tire that has a damaged sidewall (outside the belt), it can split/tear too easily.

neal adkins, bwilson4web and R P like this.
  21. I have been plugging screw/nail punctures in all my cars for decades. I have never had one fail. I have always carried a plug kit in all my cars, and have had to use them a few times while on the road.