tick marks on power/charge gauge?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by cavemanlawyer15, Feb 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cavemanlawyer15

cavemanlawyer15 New Member

Trying to understand a detail about the power/charge gauge (on the main instrument cluster).

See example here - notice the small tick mark, next to the R in "POWER"? In the photo it's five spaces from the top. Some times it's 2 or 3, other times it's 6 or 7. What does that tick mark mean?

There's another one next to the C in "CHARGE". Seriously, what is that?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I assume it's some relative measurement of Current.
    Current going from the motor into the battery (CHARGE) when Regen is being used.
    Current going from the battery into the motor (POWER) when pressing on the accelerator pedal.
    Not really accurate terms, but I think the idea is convey how much energy is going out/in to the battery pack, so you can visualize the effects of driving habits.
    I like the gauges, but wish ECO mode was a different color (green?) than NORMAL mode.

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

BTW, those marks only appear when you're in Eco mode. I notice that they spread apart when power demand might be more, like accelerating uphill, and narrow when power demands might be less, liking cruising.

I am using Torque Pro to monitor various things, and have not seen any linear correlation between that gauge and the "real" power numbers in Torque Pro via OBD2. I take it with a coupla grams of salt. ;)