This could happen to any EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by electriceddy, Dec 12, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I decided to post this one here, as it is a Hyundia product, also feel more comfortable discussing in this section.
    A rather unpleasant situation.

I do have one of these on order.
    It seems rather unfair that one can lose all good driver discount insurance benefits by one claim such as this, and this being the only way to recover most of the funds invested.
    Hyundai does acknowledge that the procedure was improper and should have been escalated to HMC (or Korea) after the dealer checked the damage to the protection plate. (Apparently, they have changed their procedures regarding battery damage assessment)
    No evidence to support whether the battery itself was actually damaged, or it was limited to the plate separating from the pack. (via software check or even removing the cover to determine extent of any physical external damage to the bottom of the pack)
    I also feel the protection panel is the first line of defense, and may have done its intended job, the coolant plate as back-up protection and finally the pack itself.
    I do feel Hyundai should play a bigger role in this type of situation, at least compensate the owner or his insurance increase over the next ten years, and offer a substantial discount on a replacement EV, if indeed the pack does require replacement. Or a pack replacement at a cheaper cost working with the insurance company.
    It is their design. I can imagine this happening to any EV particularly one without any "protection plate". Stories like this one cannot be good for EV business as a whole, and do look forward to a follow update.
    What is your opinion?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Electric Rich likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The damage looks to be only a scratch on the fibre-based underside cover, not even touching the aluminium cooling panel. The other detail the dealer referred to looked like a complete guess where that should have been entirely quantitative; a specific set of measurements to be judged against an allowable tolerance.

The importer's response was generic and vague. It seemed they want to taylor the price for the situation, possibly only to manage any negative PR.

I'd guess the battery retail price was high due to a blanket 100% dealer markup placed on spare parts.

4. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, this is an EV haters dream story. Scary they didnt seem to have a 'policy/procedure' in place yet, to handle this situation.
    This will happen a lot in my view. As you mention, its their design, if they cant protect the battery from something like this, then plenty will be put off buying an EV. The plate design must be such that moderate damage to it, doesnt mean damage to the battery. Damage to the plate also needs to be viewed independent to any battery damage.

5. Well, the damage has been done, publicity-wise.

Hyundai better come up with a proper response rather quickly, or the general public will continue to lose trust in the company, and EV's in general.

6. JedK

JedK Member

My 2019 Hyundai Kona EV was part of a battery recall where they replaced the entire battery. How could Hyundai afford to replace all those batteries if the part and labor is $60K? At the time I tried to get Hyundai to just give me a new lease for a newer Kona EV. I even got an advocate through Hyundai. I was trying to get a new 2021. I said to them just cancel the lease, take the car, and give me a new lease for a 2021 at the same price. They didn't want to do it. "Only if the car qualified under the NY State Lemon law, can we do that". Seems so stupid now. They replaced the battery that year through the recall free of charge.

EvOneKenobe likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.