The Volt is Dead

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by LAF, Nov 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LAF

LAF Active Member

We need a new title for the forum- GM announced it will no longer make the Volt!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Why should the death of the Volt affect the name of the Clarity forum?

ClarityDoc likes this.
  4. LAF

LAF Active Member

One of the titles is Clarity the Volt Challenger

5. insightman

That's a thread title, not the forum title. It would have been clearer if this discussion was in that thread as there's already a Volt is dead thread.

6. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

GM has to make hard choices, but will be sad to see LaCrosse, Volt, Impala, and CT6 get axed.
    Wonder what GM will do with the Volt power-train....

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Actually I was sincerely sad to see this (as it effects all the workers mainly), but also my vision for the future is more electric friendly low or zero emissions vehicles. To see the Volt get the axe is bad news for all PHEV owners. We really want more, not fewer options. Frankly had they killed 6, and kept the Volt that would of at least made sense to me.

As I drove to work on a large street with cold weather and many vehicles in view, the exhaust from tailpipes was more visible than normal (just due to the steam/heat effect). I'm delighted to be one of those with no emissions (at least 5 days a week).

-Dan

9. insightman

Johnhaydev likes this.
  10. bigbug

bigbug Member

Not sure why GM wants to get rid of Volt. At this moment I think PHEV is a better choice over full EV.

11. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I doubt their dropping it because of some conspiracy to kill EVs or PHEVs. It comes down to profitablity. If a company can’t make money directly or indirectly on a product they will kill it. Look at BlockBuster video stores. They are for the most part gone because nobody was willing to pay them to rent a video. In this case it looks like nobody (i.e. not enough) people are willing to purchase the VOLT.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. lessismore

lessismore Member

GM sells more car in China than it does in US. This makes sense. but killing Volt does not.

14. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

For those of you who found it a surprise that GM sold more cars in China than in the US, the third quarter numbers were 835,934 in China and 694,638 in the US, with both numbers declining year-over-year. I did not realize that China was such a big part of GM's market. I wonder how tariffs will affect this.

As for killing the Volt ... obviously some decision makers at GM did think it makes sense.

15. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

I think a large part of the decision to axe the Bolt was based on the manufacturing plant. They shuttered several plants, presumably the ones furthest in the red. I doubt that any particular model (Volt, Malibu, etc) was targeted , but the decision was based on the bigger picture. Keeping the Volt would mean moving production line(s) to a different plant, or trying to keeping a plant open solely for the Volt. Neither likely made sense.

16. insightman

The Bolt continues--it's the foundation of their new Cruise autonomous car program.

17. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Sorry, Typo that I thought I corrected. No way to edit old post?

18. insightman

I usually spend the first 10 minutes after I post correcting what I posted. However, there's a time-limit on corrections (this forum's administrator, Domenick, can tell you what the limit is).