The roof is NOT aluminum!

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by KentuckyKen, May 29, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

OK, I have seen posts in several threads saying the roof is aluminum. I can tell you with certainty that it is NOT. The roof, including front and rear pillars, along with the rear quarter panels are steel.
    The hood, doors, front quarter panels and rear trunk cover/spoiler ARE aluminum.
    If you don’t believe me just try a magnet on them. Just settin’ the record straight.

prestoOne likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Baekacaek

Baekacaek New Member

Hmm isn’t aluminum lighter? Wonder why they put steel roof

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Guessing strength, pass gov’t crash safety test, cheaper???? A posted link to a review said that some structural element tied into the roof and that’s why there is no sunroof.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This Honda diagram shows the materials the Clarity uses and where they are used. The diagram doesn't show the non-aluminum body cladding so we must assume the roof, like the rear quarter-panels, are steel (as KentuckyKen has magnetically verified).

[​IMG]

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the composites are? Looks like a lot there. Some sort of thermoplastic maybe?

Edit, looks like some sort of steel, curious as why it shows composite in legend? Maybe alloy?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

I wonder if this was intentionally designed so that magnetic load lifter would work.

maxresdefault.jpg

9. qtpie

qtpie Active Member

On similar note... while washing our car this weekend, we noticed that the hood of the Clarity is quite thin. With a bit of pressure, you can probably make a dent with your bare hands if not careful. The roof is very solid, however... just fyi for everyone.

10. JyChevyVolt

JyChevyVolt Active Member

images.jpeg
    Nooooooooo

11. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

The horror, the horror! :eek:

[​IMG]

CAVEAT: I don't want to overstate the case, but some may suggest that it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that the above photo might, just might, have been slightly PhotoShopped.

12. To remove this ad click here.