Test ride impressions and factory tour

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Domenick, Aug 23, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Our very own @Tom Moloughney got to go for a ride in the Ford F-150 Lightning recently, as well as tour the new Rouge Electric Vehicle Center where it will be built.

If you're interested in the F-150 Lightning this video is definitely worth your time. For one, he points out a discrepancy in the pricing/availability that has gone unnoticed by others -- the lowest trim Pro version won't be available to retail customers with the extended battery option, only commercial customers.

He also has a great description of the performance of the Lightning while on the track.

GvilleGuy, Fastnf, RLXXI and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I watched that and was impressed, very informative.
    2 points grabbled my attention, those being utilizing a CCS 1 connector for its bi-directional capability- a first in the industry.
    Second I question Ford not utilizing 800V charging technology especially with that DC recharge time on the extended range 170kWh pack of 41 minutes.

mho and Domenick like this.
  4. Tom Moloughney

Tom Moloughney InsideEVs Staff Subscriber

Tesla doesn't utilize an 800V battery and has some of the fastest charging EVs available today - up to 250 kW.

If the Lightning could sustain 150 kW for a long time, like 0-80% (like an e-Tron) then it would be fine, IMO. From Ford's info on charging times, it doesn't appear that it will be able to do exactly that, but it's close and they could always improve that in time with OTA software updates. Time will tell.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

I wonder if the fleet option will be available to employees of fleets. I and others have been able to get substantial savings due to who we work for and the sheer amount of vehicles we buy, thousands of Fords to name just one brand stock our inventory.

If I could get the pro with the ER battery I could live without the other amenities of the XLT.

6. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

The note of going 90mph and punching it and being pushed in the seat would be dangerous for me keeping my license.

On another note doesn't look promising that the truck will be available to many customers soon. I read an article that said only 15000 will be built in 2022 and 55000 in 2023 and so on. It will take years to get through the current reservation holders.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. RLXXI

RLXXI Active Member

If you're doing 90mph on public roads you deserve to lose your license, keep it on a closed track for adrenalin rushes like that.

9. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I'd be too scared to do that speed even on a track. It's mind bogling at how much power EVs have at even high speeds.

10. Looks like Ford has adjusted its production plans after getting a ton of preorders. Now, they're shooting for 80,000 units in 2024, which is supposedly double of the original plan.

11. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

My current vehicle lease is due in July 2023. I'm a little worried about being able to get a Lightning by then even with the production boost. I have not put in a reservation because I was worried about getting one too soon and making payments on 2 vehicles. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. :)

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Fantastic overview, @Tom Moloughney - I think this truck will be a huge boost to EV adoption.

Domenick likes this.
  14. It's a refundable $100, so might be worth the small investment.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I get that. I'm worried that it would ready too soon. Like you say it's only $100.

Domenick likes this.