Tesla to J1772 adapter

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MNSteve, Nov 18, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I apologize if this is covered in a prior post ... I did look.

I thought I would purchase an adapter to be able to use a Tesla charging station, although I've had no need to do that. I was thinking that it was just a passive adapter and that the cost would be minimal, so it would be nice to have it in the car in case I ran into an occasion to use it. Apparently these units are a lot more than just a plug-changing adapter, as the only one I can find is $256. Am I missing something?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

IIUC, Tesla chargers and cars do a lot more communication in both directions, so any adapter must have a chip in it to talk to the Tesla charger. $200+ does seem ridiculous for that, though.

4. MNSteve

MNSteve Well-Known Member

I wonder if the voltages are different and conversion is required ... that would require some high-power circuits.

5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

"The Tesla Tap" and similar adapters work on the Level 2 "destination" charging stations, not the superchargers. No chip, voltage or communication modification is required.
    Tesla's come with an adapter that allows them to use the J1772 standard plugs, this adapter goes the other way.
    Tesla provides free charging equipment to hotels, restaurants, B&B's, etc. The usual configuration is 2 Tesla Destination Chargers +1 Clipper Creek 32A J1772, but it does vary from location to location
    https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

lordsutch likes this.
  6. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

These adapters are useful. A number of places I visit have more Tesla than J1772 spots, yet the former are almost completely unused.

Sent using Inside EVs mobile app

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. chris5168

chris5168 Member

We have one (50 amp version). On the surface expensive, but incredibly useful since we had a Tesla Wall Connector installed. Also provides additional options while traveling utilizing Tesla destination chargers(might go without saying, but not compatible with Tesla 480-volt direct-current based Supercharging.)

Once we grow tired of swapping cables, we can also add up to 4 Wall Connectors that, based on priority, will share the single 100amp circuit without overloading it.

Interesting value based article about J-1772 use of Tesla’s 32amp Mobile Connector:https://insideevs.com/tesla-best-value-evse-non-tesla-owners/

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Tesla adapters for non-Tesla cars (such as the TeslaTap) do NOT work with the 400-volt DC Tesla Superchargers, they work only with Tesla's lower-voltage AC Destination Chargers (EVSEs located at destinations, such as retail stores, etc).

10. Heino

Heino Active Member

Similar topic - but I purchased a Tesla UMC called Jesla. Basically, a Tesla EVSE modified with a J1772 plug. As it turns out - Tesla uses the same J1772 protocol on their level 2 EVSE's, so a simple plug modification makes it work with the Clarity.

Benefits? I can say I own a Tesla product.. but seriously, I always liked the Tesla UMC and how it automatically adjusts voltage input based on what adapter plug ones uses.

11. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I hate to sound selfish, but we Tesla owners (and remember we own a Clarity too) would not look forward to non-Tesla owners clogging up Tesla Chargers if a way was found for other electrics to use them. There's enough added volume now with the release of the Model 3 that has filled up more of those empty chargers. For me there's even the element of ethics. Tesla owners spent a lot of money for the privilege of using these chargers that I'm sure was factored into the price.

Aside from that, many newer Tesla owners are now charged for Super Charger use, so even with an adapter, I don't know that it would work. It's debatable whether it would work on the Destination Chargers. FWIW, I've never seen a non-Tesla vehicle successfully charging at a Tesla charger of any type.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

I would agree with you if all the Tesla drivers would stop using an adaptor for our vehicles.

Tesla did not design their vehicles to use the J1772 natively. I honestly find it annoying to see so many Tesla cars in my area using an adaptor to park in a spot designed for my connector not theirs.

You can’t have it both ways.

14. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

There certainly are plenty of reports online of people using an adapter to charge at at Tesla Destination Charger with their non-Tesla car.

I assume at least some of those reports are true.

From InsideEVs: "Op-Ed: Charging A Bolt EV At A Tesla Destination Station? Sure You Can!"

Discussion at the Tesla Motors Club forum: "Non tesla owners using tesla chargers."

Contrariwise, Tesla Superchargers use two-way communications to "talk to" the car, and identify the specific car, to identify if the car gets free use of the Supercharger, or if the owner is to be charged.

The above was a direct response to Ken7's comment above, but the rest of my comment here is directed at everyone who has posted on this subject:

Tesla Destination Chargers are controlled by business owners who own the land the Destination Charger sits on, not owned by Tesla. Tesla has no say in who can or can't use a Destination charger. Anybody with the proper adapter should be able to use a Tesla Destination Charger, subject to rules set by the property owner.

And any Tesla car owner with the proper J1772 adapter should be able to use the non-Tesla charger at the same Destination Charger location. That, also, was installed by Tesla, even though it doesn't have the Tesla "T" trademark symbol on it.

[​IMG]
    A typical Tesla Destination Charger installation, with one charger labeled "T" for Tesla, with a Tesla plug; and one charger without the Tesla logo, with a J1772 plug.

Arguing that a charger "belongs" to one set of car owners or another, depending on brand, is just wrong. The charger belongs to whoever runs the charger. If it's a Tesla Supercharger, then it belongs to Tesla, and only Tesla gets to say who can use it or not. At least at present, Tesla has decreed that only Tesla cars can charge at Tesla Superchargers. And please note that part of the price that Tesla car owners have paid for their Tesla car goes to build those Superchargers... and nobody else is contributing to that. So nobody other than Tesla car owners has any right to complain about who can or can't use Superchargers.

Contrariwise, a Tesla Destination Charger, once installed, belong to the business where it's installed. The business owner pays for the power to charge your car, and I think pays for any needed maintenance for the Destination Charger. The business owner -- not Tesla or anybody else -- get to set rules on who can or can't use the charger. The existence, or absence, of a "T" Tesla logo on a Destination Charger may give some people the idea that "they" should have the exclusive right to use that charger, but they're wrong. They need to ask the property owner who can or can't use the charger.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Candice, KentuckyKen and petteyg359 like this.
  15. chris5168

chris5168 Member

I respectfully disagree, Tesla produces their own proprietary charger protocol and subsidize the charger cost for higher adoption.

Certainly you do not think public J-1772 EVSEs are installed to preclude Tesla vehicles from charging do you?

Ken7 likes this.
  16. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I would agree that anyone using the last or only available Tesla Destination Charger with a TeslaTap for a PHEV should stay near the car when charging and offer to yield the spot to a Tesla if one comes up needing charge. At least we have the gasoline backup. I treat Leafs the same way when J1772 charging is in short supply (and would yield the J1772 to a Bolt or Tesla as well if they are thirsty). I feel that BEVs should get priority for charging, even if it causes me to have to burn a little more gasoline.

chris5168 likes this.
  17. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

Well the j1772 was not designed for Tesla and and the Tesla was not designed for the J1772. And I am assuming your not paying for the actual charging stations that don’t have the Tesla connection especially the free charging stations.

If Tesla did not wish to have a J1772 connected to their charger they could easily cut it off but they do not.

I don’t seem to find any news on them being upset about it. They also seem to be going in the other direction and wanting people to openly have their systems i.e. giving away their patents (yes I know this is not directly correlated with their destination chargers).

Until they cut it off or Elon says to not do it I will be using the adaptor.

In the end the Tesla owners need to be happy more and more people are trying to get some sort of EV instead of acting like they are getting away with something. The move to EVs will allow the US (and Canada) to never be held captive by any dictator or country that wishes us harm again. It will also allow our economies to grow stronger as it will no longer be directly tied to Oil like it is today.

Mattsburgh and petteyg359 like this.
  18. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Except for sourcing those pesky raw materials... EVs are good, and they are definitely going to change the global economy as oil demand shifts (yet oil is also used to make plastic, which EVs happen to have in them, so that ain't going away either), but there's no chance in hell they'll remove dependency on foreign resources.

19. lessismore

lessismore Member

[QUOTE="For me there's even the element of ethics.[/QUOTE]
    what ethics? the kind of ethics that 'Tesla car gets to use ALL charging stations and you non-Tesla car f***k off from ours'? I never used any Tesla charging station yet, but I am so ashamed of myself right now.

20. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

Bingo. I didn't expect to get much agreement here, but I strongly believe what I said and you stated in another way. Tesla owners pay for the privilege of using a Tesla charger. That's is simply a fact. It is built into the cost of the vehicle's price. Such is not the case with a Clarity or most other EVs/HEVs. I've charged both our Clarity and our Tesla at Charge Point locations for free. There is nothing built into the price of our Clarity or Tesla that allows us the privilege of using these chargers, it's at the discretion of the property owner which in this case is a shopping mall.

I see a very distinct difference and I think owning both types of vehicles perhaps makes me a bit more objective than some.

insightman likes this.
  21. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

This is absolutely absurd. A Tesla does NOT get to use all charging stations. Get a grip and consider the fact that Tesla owners PAY for the privilege of using Tesla chargers. You seem to harbor quite a bit of Tesla resentment. ;)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  22. Ken7

Ken7 Active Member

I've stopped at numerous SuperChargers and have yet to see it happen. Perhaps it has, but I doubt it's a frequent occurrence. I'm not even sure how this would be feasible since you'd have to a Tesla account with a credit card # for billing purposes. If the charger 'sees' a car it doesn't recognize and there's no account to charge to, why would the charger dispense a charge?

OTOH, I haven't used a destination charger and perhaps that's where it becomes feasible, but I doubt it happens at SuperChargers. I'm not sure what the mechanics of the destination chargers are.

23. Claritydfw

Claritydfw Member

Except your forgetting how much oil and the type of oil (not all oil can easily be converted to gas) is uesd just for fuel.

Yes I understand there will be a need for oil for an extremely long time but if amount that is needed can be cut way down to the point that those have used oil as a weapon against us will no longer have that weapon.

I am old enough to remember what was done to the US in the 70s and I hope to never have it done again. Shale oil has crippled what OPEC can do now thankfully. A drastic reduction of gas needs would help finish them off.

Now back to a non Tesla car using a destination charger. Personally I think it should be up to the location owner as they are the ones paying for the electricity. Tesla is not paying for it. So this idea that only Tesla’s should be allowed to use them is bunk based on that alone. If Tesla payed for the power too then you would have a good argument as to why non Tesla’s should not be allowed to use them.

Let’s face it in the end the Tesla owners are just mad because somone else is getting to play with a toy and they want to keep it to themselves.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018