tesla to j1772 adapter

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Eric1, Feb 13, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Eric1

Eric1 New Member

Interested in purchasing an adapter to take full advantage of additional tesla charging stations in my area. My initial research has brought up a number of adapter solutions. The concern that I have is that of theft. Does anyone know of a way to secure the adapter so that it doesn't find a new home, as well as disrupt my charge?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

As with other charging handles, the J1772 end of the adapter will automatically lock into the charging port (unless within 15 second of manually unlocking the car, or when chatting is finished and you have the Auto setting on).

You can also use a small lock through the hole in the trigger to physically lock the adapter to the port.

I'm not aware of any way to lock the Tesla charge handle to the adapter, so someone could probably interrupt your charging by disconnecting.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4. Eric1

Eric1 New Member

thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense, the locking mechanism retaining the adapter. Any thoughts as to what the max amp adapter should be for the 64kwh Niro?

5. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

The on-board AC to DC charger is 7.2kW, so the most it can pull is 30A at 240V, 32A at 220V. I think 40A is the lowest any of the adapters offer. I got a used 50A TeslaTap only because it was much cheaper ($90). It's actually a bit cumbersome since the short cable is so stiff. If they were the same price I'd get the thinner wire.

6. tr6tevens

tr6tevens New Member

And just to be completely clear, the adapters work ONLY with Tesla mobile connectors, wall chargers, and destination chargers, and NOT with their DC Superchargers.

Also, supposedly some newer destination chargers don't work with all J1772 adaptors, but I haven't encountered one in my limited experience.

Domenick likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.